We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach cabanas?

Houston
Level Contributor
161 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach cabanas?

We'll be visiting Placencia this summer for about a week with our 2 kids, 8 and 9. After spending many hours looking at reviews and researching, I think we've settled on a cabana (though I could always be swayed!). The cabanas are appealing in their low cost and since we'd be outside so much, we wouldn't need anything too spacious. Must be in a nice, scenic location and directly on the beach where kids can walk right into the water to swim, needs hammocks and beach chairs, walking distance to the village (within 7-10 minutes). I know the cabanas are typically basic furnishings, but I would expect it to be clean with decent linens.

What I've found so far:

Tradewinds - seems decent, but it sounds like it is on the point and the water isn't as pretty as other areas. Any truth to that?

Las Amigas - seem ok, but I can't find much in terms of reviews online.

Placencia Cabanas - again, not finding many online reviews, and not sure if it's a good location?

Any feedback (good or bad) on these would be very helpful! Or, have I missed any worth considering?

Thanks,

DJ

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach cabanas?

http://www.vrbo.com/504572

Just came back from Placencia and rented this house. Stayed for 10 days with our 2 kids. Perfect location - quiet but very close to the village for shopping and restaurants -walking distance to everything. The house is a home away from home, we were very comfortable there. We swam and played on the beach daily. The house is on a big lot so lots and lots of private beach area to play. Beautiful winds to keep the house cool throughout the day and evenings. One word of advice though after staying in Placencia and talking to some expats - just be aware that there is a lot of petty crime in Placencia and there is always someone looking for an opportunity to steel from you. Keep your doors locked when on the beach or away from the house. Review security features of the rental wherever you may stay - are there sensor lights, locks on windows, bolts for doors etc. It is just better to be safe than sorry. Keep valuables out of plain sight especially on the beach as it doesn't matter where you stay, there are always people walking up and down the waterfront. The locals were friendly though, but did encounter a few shady characters asking if we wanted to buy drugs even though we had our 2 kids with us. Overall though, a very cool place - you can just sit and enjoy the beach or book day trips and head out for an adventure. But check out this house - we loved it and the owner is a wonderful lady.

2. Re: Best beach cabanas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Placencia
Recent Conversations