We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teacher looking to volunteer and bring school supplies

Connecticut USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Teacher looking to volunteer and bring school supplies

A few years ago I spent a month in Roatan, Honduras and did some volunteer work and am interested in doing the same this summer. Can anyone help with some contacts at local schools where I might be able to lend a hand?

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teacher looking to volunteer and bring school supplies

Someone mentioned passports with purpose. Or something like that. Try googling

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teacher looking to volunteer and bring school supplies

School supplies are always appreciated. Pack a Pound is another one to look up.

Connecticut USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teacher looking to volunteer and bring school supplies

I'm having trouble just finding the name of a school or a contact. There are schools in the area right? I also tried the tourism page and left a msg but haven't heard anything back yet. I just sent it last week though.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teacher looking to volunteer and bring school supplies

You would be best to deal with an organization that can steer you in the right direction, rather than directly with a school. You need a permit to work in Belize, including volunteer. As for donations of school supplies, it is the norm in Belize that when donations (either cash or supplies) are made to a school principal or teacher they become the property of the teacher/principal. The supplies are then sold to the students. Rotary, for one. has been busy building playgrounds in various schools, or maybe a local library or humane society.

sc
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teacher looking to volunteer and bring school supplies

I will be in Palencia for the month of July. I have taught elementary school for 28 years.Looking for volunteer work with children, Any advise on places that need an extra hand?

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
22 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Teacher looking to volunteer and bring school supplies

Potlika offered great advice. You will need a work permit to volunteer. However school supplies are welcomed. Seine Bight community center needs a lot of help at this time. you can find out more information about Seine Bight via their FB page. Thanks for helping out, and have a great trip

sc
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Teacher looking to volunteer and bring school supplies

Hello,

I have searched and searched trying to locate a contact in order to help out next month at the Seine Bight Community Center. It has been said that a work permit is needed to volunteer. Would you kindly direct me to the right contact? Thank you very very much!

sc
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Teacher looking to volunteer and bring school supplies

Is this true that the donated school items will be sold to the children?

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Teacher looking to volunteer and bring school supplies

Seine Bight Village Council has a FB page, I think there is a phone number listed as well. We also have a maid that lives in San Roman, there is a large need for supplies at the school there as well.

10. Re: Teacher looking to volunteer and bring school supplies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 05:16