We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Massage and Manatees

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Massage and Manatees

I did a lot of reading on this forum a few months ago but then life got busy. Now our trip is 2 weeks away!

Does anyone have a recommendation in Placencia Village for a therapist that does deep tissue massage? (of any variety) Also would love a recommendation for a good hot stone massage :)

Would prefer an independent practitioner or day spa.

Also really, really want to see some manatees. I understand there is a chance we may see some on our Monkey River tour, but have also read that the boat rides can be rather speedy which would seem to not be the best way to see some. Also know we can kayak the lagoon, but how does that work out with the alligators? Are there any boat tours of the lagoon specifically to look for wildlife?

Thanks to all the people who take the time to post answers on this forum - I have learned so much already from your efforts!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Massage and Manatees

Many grt massage therapists, including Thai.

Placencia.com has info

Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Massage and Manatees

thank you Katie :) We are looking forward to a massage soon after arrival to get our bodies into relaxed vacation mode

Found out Roberts Grove has a Manatee tour. But first we would have to pay to get there. Will ask around town when we arrive.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Massage and Manatees

There are manatee in the Placencia Lagoon, but its not the best place to see them because of the murky water. Also generally true of other areas near Placencia where you are likely to find manatee.

Getting to Roberts Grove is just a taxi ride and taxis are inexpensive in Placencia.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 14:57
Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Massage and Manatees

Re independent contractor massage therapists. Most of the massage therapists in Placencia work as independent contractors for the resorts. The resorts have a massage area and just schedule your time with the massage therapist. So, whether you contact them directly or book thru the resort you are likely to get one of the same massage therapists.

The Thai massage is (or was, still so I think) a separate business with their own physical site...and way good.

Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Massage and Manatees

Thank you for your insight.

We are traveling to San Ignacio later in our stay (probably by bus). I wonder if a side trip to Gales Point to see the Manatees would be worth it? Less murky water there maybe?

Have tried Thai - very intense! May need it. My husband hates to fly... may be very tense upon arrival !

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Massage and Manatees

Gales Point is a unique place, but water is not very clear there either.

You can see Manatee in both locations but not likely to get a good full body view of them. Mostly you will see tail or snout at the surface...though some guides may have Manatee they work with regularly they can coax in closer. You might discuss with Roberts Grove to get an idea of what their guides do on the tour. Most of the places I know with clear water and manatee are inconvenient/expensive for visitors to access. Caye Caulker has some though. Good news is that you are very likely to see some in the back lagoon. You can even see their silhouette flying in sometimes.

Re the Monkey River tour. Very popular and an interesting boat ride thru the coastal mangroves to get there from Placencia. Lots of wild life even if you don't see Manatee. I have seen tour boats stopped in the mangroves on that route so its not always just high speed runs (though that is fun). Explain to the guide you would really like to see manatee and he will likely try to accommodate you.

Yes, Thai massage is incredible. I tweaked my back once and went in for a Thai massage. After, she asked me if I wanted to schedule a second session and I half-joking said I ought to discuss that with my girlfriend first! ;-)

Edited: 14 July 2014, 01:33
7. Re: Massage and Manatees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 05:15