We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing in Placencia

amandawh
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Fishing in Placencia

Hi! We are visiting placencia the last 2 weeks of July. We love to fish and will have access to a dock. We would also like to do some offshore fishing. We are looking to bring some of our own tackle, and would like to know what type of fish we can expect to catch from dock. Also, any recommendations on offshore guides would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing in Placencia

My husband had a great day of fishing with Wayne Castellanos (dial 011 501 first if calling from the US):

661 1151

634 2852

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing in Placencia

Depends a bit on the location of the dock, but almost any dock: various types of snapper, jack, small baracudda. I've caught Ballyhoo on fly off docks in Placencia (handy if you are about to head offshore).

Fishing off Yolis dock can yield some surprisingly good catches...and you are just a few paces from a cold beer at Yolis. See the pictures of catches on her walls there.

Also good shore fishing from the point on the beach at the northern cut to the harbor. Esp at tide changes.

In the back lagoon/coastal mangroves all the above + Snook & Tarpon.

Inside the reef around the cayes (with your guide) you can catch Mackerel (Cerro, King & Frigate (yuk) although to Belizeans these are unrelated fish...King Macks are just King Fish), grouper, permit. larger jacks, larger snapper, larger Cuddas, small Blackfin Tuna...

Outside the reef and/or in the cuts you can get into some larger game fish like Wahoo, really big Grouper. Dorado, larger Black Fin Tuna. Belize is not known for its Big Game fishing, but the occasional bill fish are caught. I caught a Long Billed Swordfish off the southern end of the reef once, but this is uncommon.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 02:28
Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing in Placencia

Re tackle. Most locals use hand lines (AKA "Cuban Rigs") and these are quite effective. You can jig, cast , or troll with them and they are very compact for travel. Light spinning rigs are also good around the docks. Your guide should supply gear for his trips.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 02:37
amandawh
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing in Placencia

Thanks for all the input! We arrived today and we are ready to fish!!!! The water was very choppy, so hoping for calmer seas tomorrow. Any suggestions on charters? Thanks again!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing in Placencia

Fish the lagoon if its too windy at sea

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing in Placencia

See post #1. :-)

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing in Placencia

Amandawh, catch anything?

Virginia
Level Contributor
183 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing in Placencia

How much does he charge? Or what is the going rate? We are planning on a trip in the spring and my husband would be interested in fishing on and offshore.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing in Placencia

I would suggest you email and ask - the rates vary based on what sort of fishing you are doing, length of day, how much food the guide is providing, how much of your own equipment you have, etc. The range will likely be between $250 and 500.

Mexico
Level Contributor
107 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing in Placencia

Placencia Eagle Ray tours does fishing as well as other tours and i would highly recommend them. They have a website you can check on all the different tours and prices. While in placencia I went snorkeling with Placencia Eagle ray tours at Laughing Bird Caye and it was an amazing day. The served a wonderful lunch of stewed chicken, rice, beans, salad, fruit and drinks which was included.

Get answers to your questions about Placencia
Recent Conversations