We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing Charters out of Placencia

Which Placencia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sailing Charters out of Placencia

My husband and I, along with another couple are traveling to Belize next February 2 - 11 for the first time. We will be staying at Blancaneaux for 3 nights and TI for 3 nights, but in between we plan to charter a sailboat with Belize Sailing Charters for 3 nights. Does anyone know anything about this organization .. good/bad or otherwise. Any recomendations on how we make use of our 3 nights sailing the Cayes around Placenica????

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing Charters out of Placencia

Capt Frankie is great, wonderful sailing out of Placencia, south is lovely. He runs a good operation, fabulous cook.

jenkintown, pa
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailing Charters out of Placencia

We just sailed with this company and had a very negative experience. There were serious safety and maintenance issues with the boat. I would never charter from them again.

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailing Charters out of Placencia

Could you tell me a little more about your experience?? We sail with them very soon. How long did you sail? What were the problems?? What sail boat were you on?? Thanks for any info you may have.

Arlington, VA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sailing Charters out of Placencia

We had a fabulous week on a crewed catamaran. Crew was fun and friendly and did everything to make our trip what we hoped it would be. Having said that, I was disappointed that there was no feedback requested by the "main office." Any hesitation on recommending this operation would be due to the organization and not the individuals involved. Definitely spend time out on the cayes and enjoy the wonderful friendly people in Placencia. Loved the clean casual lodgings at Diannis and Ranguana Lodge.

Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sailing Charters out of Placencia

Hi we are planning on doing same thing with same company, little about concerned about the negative post re: safety concerns....

Did you end up going with them? How was it?

Thanks

Wausau, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sailing Charters out of Placencia

I have not looked at this post for a long time - and thought I should let everyone know about our experience. We had a wonderful time! There were no obvious safety issues that we could tell. They had a Cat out bareboating while we were out and Captain Chris was very good about checking in with them to make sure things wee good. Captain Chris was great - would be happy to have him as a captain again. He caught us lobster our first night out and each meal after was just as wonderful. We enjoyed seeing the different Cayes. I hope to charter a trip again and would defintily use Belize Sailing Charters / Sailing Belize.

Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sailing Charters out of Placencia

Glad everthing went well, you were one of the lucky ones!

We have a very bad experience with this company very recently and would never, ever sail with them again.

We paid in full for a cat. months before we sailed & when we arrived were told it was not avail. but that they had "upgraded" us to a sail boat. We are not sailors & on inspection at first it looked fine. But one problem after another cropped up.

Turned out the boat was over 20 yrs old and the cat. we had paid for was taken out of service months ago!!

Also this company had months to plan our trip but were scrambling to get things organized as we waited on dock. We didn't have enough fresh water & had to return the next morning. The battery failed & the spare one was flat, luckily another cat. moored nearby helped us out. I could go on & on!!

We did end up getting 1/2 of our money back but this did not compensate us for the loss of a vacation which we had saved for and looked forward to for many months. Plus the added expense of travelling down to Placencia just for this.

Jimmy our captain did his very best to make things go OK and I would look him up again to sail with - just not with this company!

Ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sailing Charters out of Placencia

We also had a very negative experience with this charter. We wanted to do a day sail and were told the large boat was in use but, we would have a smaller boat with Captain. In short, the boat was filthy---head tank was so full that raw sewage was discharged along the top edge of the boat when anyone used the head. Captain(not Frank) got high throughout the trip and couldn't wait to get back to the dock. Considering that we paid over $5oo.oo for the day, I expected a much better experience. When I complained to Captain Frank he promised to make things right. Never heard from him again. Lesson learned!

Seattle, WA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sailing Charters out of Placencia

Below is a brief description of my family's experience with Belize Sailing Charters.

My family recently chartered a boat with Belize Sailing Charters out of Placencia and was very disappointed with our experience. Frank (Owner) is a smooth talker, albeit a poor manager of boats. Thier boats are extremely run down and the customer service from the reservation's coordinator Sharlene (often our only contact as Frank was busy) was severely lacking. Our captain, a young man by the name of Chris, was the only bright spot in a otherwise poor investment for our vacation.

Our boat's sails had tears in them, the water tank leaked, the pontoons were cracking and barnacles covered the underside, hatches leaked over 2 beds when it rained, and the gas tanks were extrememly dirty, which ultimately casued the engines to become clogged (Read- no electricity, no motor, under 2 kts speed max). We were informed by the captain that this had happened last week to other charterers, but they did not "have the time to fix it." We lost more than a day of travel time and were unable to make it to Glover's despite great weather and calm seas. After the engine filter's were unclogged, we made it 2 days before the engines failed again. We had to use the dingy to "tow" our sailboat back into Placencia, where we almost missed out flight out.

Upon coming ashore, Frank was no where to be found and showed no concern over his boat's lack of power. We have, to this day, still not heard from him or his company (nor care to deal with him further).

I have a picture of the captain's list of problems with the boat, as well as pictures of the boat itself. Additionally, I have a list of events that transpired and dialogue between various parties invovled.

I am happy to talk to or e-mail with anyone who would like to ask questions about their services. You may message me and I will respond when I have an extra minute.

I do not care to bash individuals or companies on this forum, but I would like others to know what I wish we would have known before spending our hard earned money with BSC. Please take my advice and spend your money elsewhere.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sailing Charters out of Placencia

My husband, three children and I sailed with Frank, Chris and Belize Sailing Charters for four VERY long days over Christmas of 2006. The first thing we were told was that Christmas was an inconvenient time to secure food so the first day was spent driving around Placencia looking for provisions. Once underway, there were two constant themes to our days: food and sewage. Raw sewage flooded the cabin continually. If that wasn't bad enough, we found out that we had next to no food on board and the fishing wasn't too good that week. We caught one small lobster the first day and three conches appeared the second day. Besides those, we subsisted on two packages of Chips Ahoy cookies, a box of Oreos, rice, the Belizean version of Wonder bread and the barracuda that I caught on the third day. The advertised fresh juice was powder which ran out very early on. After that, it was nothing but "Belican?" beer and some cokes. I never thought I could be so miserable in one of the most beautiful places on earth.