We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Snorkeling from Placencia

calgary, alberta
6 posts
Save Topic
Best Snorkeling from Placencia

Hi,

my wife, two kids 9 and 12 and I are staying in Plancencia for a week at the start of April. I would like to take one or two snorkeling trips during this time and can't really decide on where to go. Given my reading thus far it seems that Laughing bird caye and Glover's atoll may be the best two to visit. I am also contemplatin a trip to see the whale sharks but am unsure of this too.

What I would like to know is if the trip to Glover's is really worth it if you are only going to snorkle? I can see it is fantastic if you are wall diving, but It is a long way out just for snorkeling.

Is the inner lagoon at Glover's shallow and is the snorkeling excellent there, or really no different from say Laughing bird caye.

Where would you go if you had two days of snorkeling to plan and were staying plancencia?

What about the whale shark experience. I think my kids are too young and small to be swimming with a 60 ft. whale shark. Besides it is also a long way out and how likely is it that we will actually get to see one.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks.

Scott.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Snorkeling from Placencia

not sure anyone offer trips to Glovers anymore, its a long trip. Laughing bird and Ranguna caye are both nice. Whale sharks are unbelieveable and I had 3 kids alone over a few thousand feet of water (their folks were 80 ft below diving) raning from 5-10 yrs old. Your kids are certainly old enough and what an experiance for everyone

alberta
Level Contributor
437 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Snorkeling from Placencia

Laughing Bird was awesome when I was there five years ago.

Hope you take time to get to know the village and its people.

We also enjoyed the Monkey River tour.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Snorkeling from Placencia

I have all of your same questions and concerns, and will be going to Placencia with my husband and 3 children (ages 14, 11, and 8) and my mom (80 years old) in mid April.

The responses were helpful. I'm also wondering about the best guides for snorkling trips and snorkling with whale sharks. We're staying at the Placencia Inn and the prices for tours seem high, e.g. $200 a day for snorkling with whale sharks. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks!

sf
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Snorkeling from Placencia

In Placencia I like to snorkel with Nite Wind Guide Services. The office is at the very end of the sidewalk facing the tip of the point, the walls are painted with a sea life mural.

They do full day trips with a yummy BBQ lunch or half day trips to Ranguana, Lauging Bird and Silk Cayes pretty much daily providing they have enough people and the weather is good. They also do Monkey River trips. You just check in with them the day before and see what trips are filling up, put your name on the list and show up the next morning at the appointed time. If you want to you can call ahead and check the status of your trip if things are somehow iffy.

Whale sharks have a specific season and are spotted around the full moon. Nite Wind does whale shark trips when the time is right. The trip to the spit where whale sharks gather is pretty long and the destination can be rough because it's outside the reef. Kids would have a good time at Laughing Bird or the other Cayes.

Cheers

gogo

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Snorkeling from Placencia

We were able to snorkel Pompion, Laughing Bird, and the Silk Cayes.

All were good, with Laughing Bird perhaps having an edge in terms of corals.

We went out with Splash dive shop, and they did a really nice job and were great with the kids. The lunches were delicious, usually stewed chicken, rice and beans, and a fresh salad, and buckets of Belizean orange juice to wash it down.

Kirk, our snorkel master, was really up on his reef information and was careful to make sure our 9 year old got to see everything (regrettably, she got shoved out of the way a couple of times, once by other kids finning madly to see something, another time by an adult who surfaced right into her tummy).

I found it worked much better to hang off the the sides and rear of the main group. We saw more, and were able to closely inspect items of interest.

If you snorkel/dive Laughing Bird, watch out for antler coral "reforestation"...Iris wiped it out and it has been found you can cement live pieces to a substrate and it will grow and reestablish more quickly. The planted antler coral is tagged with surveyors tape...cool!

If you like spending time in the water, consider buying a really good quality, properly fitted mask and snorkel to take with you.

6. Re: Best Snorkeling from Placencia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 21:17