We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Highway?

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Southern Highway?

I believe that I read that the Coastal Highway has recently been paved from La Democracia on the Western Highway down to where it hits the Hummingbird Highway near Dangiga?

But what condition is the Southern Highway in all the way down to Punta Gorda?

Punta Gorda, Belize
Level Contributor
66 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Highway?

The Southern Highway is fully paved and in good condition. It's a four to five hour journey south from Belize City, but watch out for speed bumps as you approach and leave villages.

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Highway?

I very much appreciate that information. I would much rather drive and have that flexibility.

After driving washboard roads to Cacarol last April, I know that highway conditions would be the first thing my wife would want to know about when I suggest we go to Punta Gorda next time.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,349 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern Highway?

Coastal Hywy may have recently been graded, but certainly not paved. Southern hywy completely paved.

Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern Highway?

The Southern Highway from Dangriga down is the best road in the country now. Between Belmopan and Dangriga you have to watch the speed bumps as mentioned and also one lane bridges so it's best to do it in daylight. Also best in daylight because it's a lovely scenic drive with some good birds along the way.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern Highway?

Yes, that drive down the Hummingbird Highway is wonderful! But lots of curves, some one lane bridges, and watch for trucks loaded with oranges.

6. Re: Southern Highway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2013, 10:16