We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coordinates for Ballum Na; Jungle Camp and Moho Caye

Little Rock...
5 posts
Save Topic
Coordinates for Ballum Na; Jungle Camp and Moho Caye

We just got back from this adventure with grandchildren and our daughter and son-in-law. It was wonderful and provided some varied experiences from the Mayan ruins, Lubantuum and Nim Li Punit, to some nice canoe trips on the Golden Stream and seeing many bird species, Pacas, and a few monkeys. The House of the Jaguars was exciting for all. All of the accommodations were very nice, with attentive, friendly and knowledgeable staff. I failed to get the map coordinates for putting my bird sightings in eBird.org and would really appreciate anyone who knows and can provide those map coordinates! The little wreck off Moho Caye was easy for the grandchildren (13, 11, & 8) to snorkel since it was so close and shallow! Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,076 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coordinates for Ballum Na; Jungle Camp and Moho Caye

Sounds wonderful - can you tell us more about where you stayed and what you did?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coordinates for Ballum Na; Jungle Camp and Moho Caye

gmaps gives coordinates doesnt it?

Little Rock...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coordinates for Ballum Na; Jungle Camp and Moho Caye

Google maps is partly cloudy and it is difficult to locate the Jungle Camp. I think I located Ballum Na since it is at the end of the dirt road from the Indian Village Creek Lodge, and the ponds there. Thanks for the try. Moho Caye does have some coordinates.

Little Rock...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coordinates for Ballum Na; Jungle Camp and Moho Caye

Google maps is partly cloudy and it is difficult to locate the Jungle Camp. I think I located Ballum Na since it is at the end of the dirt road from the Indian Village Creek Lodge, and the ponds there. Thanks for the try. Moho Caye does have some coordinates.

United States
Level Contributor
770 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coordinates for Ballum Na; Jungle Camp and Moho Caye

If you can't get an answer here can you call the hotel?

Also was the place worth the high cost? Their promo video made the place look magical.

Little Rock...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coordinates for Ballum Na; Jungle Camp and Moho Caye

It was expensive, but very nice. I have emailed the resort agency for the info. I don't know of Phone numbers for the individual "hotels."

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coordinates for Ballum Na; Jungle Camp and Moho Caye

bet they are on the hotels website

Little Rock...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coordinates for Ballum Na; Jungle Camp and Moho Caye

These were unlike any hotels I have ever visited! Our rooms had safes with the usual 4 digit codes, but we were not given keys for the rooms. We did not even ask for them. They were so remote, that only staff would be able to get to our rooms! We did have a couple of other families in some rooms nearby a couple of nights during the week, otherwise we were the only family there for the other 5 nights! It was a package deal from the resort agency. Really very cool!

Edited: 03 January 2012, 04:38
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coordinates for Ballum Na; Jungle Camp and Moho Caye

Please note this report from Y'ache a local NGO.

On Friday we learned that the jaguars being held captive in Belize Loge and Excursions, Boden Creek Ecological Preserve, an 11'000 acre property which lies adjacent to Indian Creek village in Toledo, were starving to death and that one had already died. The property which is a high end, five star, ecotourism resort has had captive animals on show to their guests for many years. However the resort seems to have fallen on hard times, they have not been paying their staff and it has been discovered that the animals they have been keeping captive have not been fed or watered for a long time either. It is an incredibly painful way to die, to be starved, and that is what these jaguars have been suffering, along with other animals such as spider monkeys and howler monkeys which are also understood to have been starved to death or abandoned and released into the jungle with little chance of fending for themselves after being kept in captivity for so long. Under the laws of Belize it is lawful to enter property without permission when an animal is suffering cruelty, in light of this Ya'axche's head ranger went to assess the condition of the animals and found one of the jaguars lying emaciated with a tether around its neck, the other jaguar, a black one, is still surviving but severely undernourished. Forest Department have been notfied and have stated that they will come to collect the surviving animal on Tuesday.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Coordinates for Ballum Na; Jungle Camp and Moho Caye

Thanks for the update BelizeQueen. I had a chance to see these jaguars last August and I'm just sick to hear about the current situation. We've had a series of issues with Belize Lodge and I was told by the owner a few weeks ago the Lodge is closed and will not be opening up again this year until they get additional funding. In light of this discovery I find it hard to believe this will happen. I couldn't agree more with your warning and advisory.

Jim Bendt, Owner - Travel Beyond