We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live Music

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Live Music

We will likely be in PG for three nights (Fri-Sun) in early January. Was wondering what the chances were for hearing live music in the restaurants/bars. If there music going on, what kind of (hopefully local) music might it be. Thanks.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,287 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live Music

Where are you staying? When we're in PG we stay at Hickatee Cottages - they always seem to know what's going on when and where. On Wednesdays they have Ray McDonald of Warasa Drum School come to their deck and give lessons and demonstrations - it was a blast. We're heading back to PG next spring and I think I'll take some lessons at the school. Maybe Ray would be able to update you on live music, too.

www.hickatee.com

http://www.warasadrumschool.com/

Edited: 07 August 2013, 23:31
Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,333 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Live Music

In Belize, advertising for many live music events is usually poor or nonexistant. The locals always seem to know what's going on, so the only thing to do is ask around.

Punta Gorda, Belize
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live Music

I am Ray McDonald's the above mentioned Garifuna drummer's wife, so warning, biased viewpoint!

Depending just how early in January, you could be very lucky. Around New Year is when the Garifuna people traditionally do Jonkunu drumming and dancing, i.e. local drummers and dancers dress up disguised as women, with elaborate crowns and masks, wearing rattles on their knees, and go from house to house drumming and dancing for tips and snacks. It is a very traditional and authentic cultural thing, and really cool to see.

At bars, there is a local bar on the sea front near the gas station that does have local bands fairly often- mostly Punta Rock music - not sure if that will be your thing or not.

My husband does also now have a lovely thatch drum school on the edge of town where we can offer performances or lessons in drumming, dancing, drum-making etc. If you Google Warasa (or look at our TripAdvisor reviews Ray McDonald's Warasa Garifuna Drum School ) you'll find it.

PG does also have local Kriol drummer Emmeth Young and his Maroon Creole Drum School, and him and his wife Jill may have life music at their place if there is enough demand. Jill's cafe on Front Street (Driftwood Cafe) does often have live music on Sunday afternoons.

There are two very well-known Belizean singers that live in PG - Paul Nabor and Leela Vernon - but they don't often perform now so it's unlikely you'll see them play sadly, unless Town Council have hired them for a New Year thing.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 17:21
4. Re: Live Music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 23:16