We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus service tamarindo to manuel antonio

montreal
10 posts
Save Topic
bus service tamarindo to manuel antonio

Wondering if anyone has information about the cost and how long it takes to bus from tamarindo to manuel antonio. Thanx!

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus service tamarindo to manuel antonio

Hello!

We are using Interbus (www.interbusonline.com) for our transfers in Costa Rica. Not sure if they have a transfer from Tamarindo to Manuel Antonio, but you can check it out!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus service tamarindo to manuel antonio

If you are talking about the public buses, there are no direct buses from Tamarindo to Manuel Antonio. Your best way would be to take the direct bus to San Jose (over 5 hours) then change buses (and bus stations) and take a bus to Manuel Antonio (about 3.5 hours) An early morning bus from Tamarindo, should give you enough time to cnnect to the noon bus to MA if all goes right. So even the best case scenario is in the 10 hour range. The cost would be in the $5.00 US range for each leg.

The Interbus, mentioned by the previous poster will cost you $39.00.

per person. It is actually a tourist van as opposed to a full sized bus.

TAMARINDO to MANUEL ANTONIO departs 8:30:00 AM arrives 2:15:00 PM.

On a map - Costa Rica looks like a small country. However because of the way the roads run and sometimes their condition, travel times often end up being more than you expect.

Pura Vida

raquel

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: bus service tamarindo to manuel antonio

By now you guys should know how much I love to dissect these bus scenarios. Its actually even a little worse than Raquel suggests. According to the schedule at:

visitcostarica.com/ict/paginas/LEYES/pdf/Iti…

Alternative 1) The first direct bus from Tamarindo to SJ leaves at 8:30AM. That means it wouldn't get into SJ until 2PM (not noon). The next direct bus to Quepos doesn't leave until 6PM thereby putting you into Quepos around 9:30PM or about 13hours after you started.

Alternative 2) There is also a 4PM Collectivo but that makes more stops and takes 4.5 hours, putting you in around 8:30PM saving you just an hour over alternative 1.

Alternative 3) You could catch the 6:10 bus to Liberia and change buses there for SJ and, if you can make the 20 minute connection in Liberia, get to SJ by 12:30 (otherwise it would be 1:30, which is not that huge a svings considering you had to get up over 2 hours earlier). Either way, if you wanted to wait for the next direct bus you'd have to wait until 6PM, so what's the point. However, you could make the 2PM collectivo putting you into Quepos around 6:30PM. Still no savings over alternative 2 but with fewer hours on the road after dark.

Alternative 4) Catch the bus to Liberia as in alternative 3, except maybe sleep an hour later and take the one at 8:10. That puts you into Liberia at 9:40 giving you plenty of time to catch the 10:30 bus to PUNTARENAS. Getting in there at 1:30PM, you should have enough time to grab a late lunch and catch the 2:30PM bus from there to Quepos. That should put you into Quepos around 5:30PM oor a little over 9 hours after you started. Thats longer the times that Raquel suggested but still at least 3 hours shorter than the actual time it would take driving all the way back to SJ AND making your connections.

Alternative 5) Already given, pay the damn money for interbus, leave at around the same 8:30 timeframe and get to Quepos at 2:15PM ie still early enough to do a little something with your day. Are those 3 hours that you saved worth the extra $30 or dollars? If I was on vacation and my time was limited they would be to me, but everyone is different.

Raquels larger point is still right on the money. That is that getting anywhere in CR by public bus EXCEPT to and from SJ can be extremely time-consuming and in most cases for most vacationers not worth the "savings".

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,410 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus service tamarindo to manuel antonio

Prolijo,

According to the bus schedule I often refer to

costa-rica-guide.com/travel/index.php…

there is a bus from Tamarindo to San Jose at 5.45 AM If this still exists, the 12.00 nooon connection would be possible.

I know these things change etc. and can not be relied on 100%.

However, I actually did this a few years back - took the public bus from Tamarindo to Manuel Antonio. I know for a fact that we left Tamarindo very very early - around 6.00 AM comes to my mind. However, I chose to spend time - can't remember if it was several hours or overnight in San Jose to visit with friends.

I did not even bother to go into the various options as I figured that for a first timer it would probably not be viable - I just described the "best case senario" as I know it and even that is a whole day IF all goes perfectly.

But the moral to the story, is unless you have lots of time and patience - spring for the Interbus or some similar private transfer or hire a driver for this one. Or you can probably make connections to fly to Quepos from Tamamrindo - changing planes in San Jose though.

Pura Vida

raquel

montreal
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bus service tamarindo to manuel antonio

Thank you all for your helpful information. Interbus seem like the logical alternative for me.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: bus service tamarindo to manuel antonio

Raquel,

You're right again. I was reading the SJ to Tamarindo times by mistake. But, damn, having to get up for a 5:45 bus? That's gotta hurt. And its still gonna take you 10 hours that way. Anyway, I wasn't trying to 2nd guess you. You know you're one of the posters here for whom I have a high deal of respect. I was just trying to add my usual excessive dose of information as that is my job around here. Again, our main points are still definitely in synch, whatever way you schedule it. Taking the public bus from Tamarindo to MA may save you some money but it just ain't worth the time.

7. Re: bus service tamarindo to manuel antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 00:18