We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sky Tram/Trek through Arenel.net

gilbert, az
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sky Tram/Trek through Arenel.net

We're headed to CS next week. Will be doing Sky Tram/Trek tour through Arenal.net in La Fortuna. I didn't realize such an adrenaline rush? Might there be another tour you'd suggest that would still give us the thrill of a zipline yet not so high and fast??? Couple family members might be a bit terrified if up too high.

El Santuario Canopy Adventure Tour
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Sky Adventures - Arenal Park
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
MidWorld Costa Rica
Canyons, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Other Outdoor Activities
Guanacaste Viajes & Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, River Rafting & Tubing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sky Tram/Trek through Arenel.net

I always describe the zip-line tours as adrenaline rushes for 2 reasons. First you're up high AND are hanging from just a clip and moving very fast. Second because that rush is mainly what they're all about. Being so focused on what you're doing and doing it safely (or what you're about to do if between runs), you don't have as much time to focus on the nature around you. The alternatives are really very different in those regards (those being the Tram and the bridges/walkways tours). You're still up very high but you're on a much more secure footing. You're feet rest on either the walkway or at least the tram floor, so you're not just hanging. Plus you'll at least have some sort of railing between you and "the great void". And you won't have that added element of speed which greatly reduces your feeling of self-control. Finally, you might actually relax enough to really notice and learn something about the canopy. I don't have any great fear of heights, so I can't say how a true acrophobe would react, but if they're going to be able to do anything at all in the canopy it is more likely to be one of those 2 other types of canopy tours.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
28 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sky Tram/Trek through Arenel.net

An alternative to a zip line may be a whitewater rafting trip. El Toro (Class III-IV) is accessible from La Fortuna with one of the many adventure outfitters in the city.

Another alternative is to visit Catarata La Fortuna. It is a small park with a beautiful waterfall under which you may swim. It is certainly less exhilirating in terms of the heart-pounding ruch of the zip-line; but it is exciting to see the tall waterfall and to swim in the cool pools below. There is a walk - OK HIKE - down a steep trail to the falls' catch pool. It is a bit of a work out. I have taken my groups there in the mid-morning and followed it up with a visit to a hot springs resort. My personal favorite is Eco Termales - much smaller and more intimate than the amusement park of Tabacon. And safer from would-be thieves.

There are bicycle tours around Lago Arenal - fairly easy ones. I have often seen howler monkeys and pizote along the trip. I usually incorporate a bike ride follwed by a short hike below the volcano. On the hike we walk through the old lava bed, seeing some amazing flora growing from the rock.

That's my 2 cents worth . . .

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sky Tram/Trek through Arenel.net

If you are terrified of heights, don't do the zip line - there are 7 cables, the last is almost a half mile long and you can reach almost 50 mph - another cable is over 600' off the forest floor. There are great views of the backside of Arenal if you do decide to go. Doing the tram alone is safe and comforting, but not worth the expense, I think it was $60USD just for the tram, with only another $10 added for the ziplining.

You will do the tram up the mountain, then there are two short practice cables.....the guides will give you a chance to "chicken out" if the practice makes you squeamish. I was a little apphrehensive at first, but I went ahead & found it to be a great thrill. Once you're on the first cable, however, there's no turning back, and you must complete all 7 cables. Our guides btw, were great at giving safety instructions as well as making the adventure real fun.

Here's a suggestion: drop the faint hearted family members off at the Tabacon Hot Springs, let the rest go to the Tram/Trek, and meet back at Tabacon Springs for lunch.

4. Re: Sky Tram/Trek through Arenel.net

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 08:21