We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's good

UT
14 posts
Save Topic
what's good

I'm going to be traveling in Central America for about 6 months. I don't know much about anything there, so I'm hoping to learn something. I'm not necessarily looking for any great thrills, but hoping to find kool small towns to check out and stay in for awhile. Learn about a different lifestyle and culture. Somewhere that's a little touristy and safe, but still has it's roots. Any ideas?

costa rica
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: what's good

buy a Central America guide book?

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: what's good

You don't know much about it but you're already planning to spend 6 months there? Maybe you should take one of two shorter trips there first or at least do more research before you commit to something that major. I can tell you from experience being immersed in a foreign culture 24/7 for months on end is widely different from going on a week or two long vacation.

That said, I think a long-term trip through latin america could be very worthwhile for a person with the right outlook. I've been looking into doing something very similar myself. But I've already learned a lot about the area and what would be involved and am a veteran of more than 1or 2 trips to CR and other Latin American countries. I'm just having trouble finding the extended time. If you've got the time and you're really sure this is what you want to do (after at least learning some basic info), then I'd jump on it, but I don't think a trip that long should be undertaken just as a whim.

When you've done a little more research by reading up, even if not by investigation on the ground, and have less generic type questions to ask, post again or e-mail me and I'd be glad to offer my informed 2 cents.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what's good

Do you speak any Spanish? If not - I would suggest you start out at a language school somewhere. Without the language, you will have a problem really getting into the "real culture."

You say you want "Somewhere that's a little touristy and safe, but still has it's roots. Any ideas? " Maybe start with Antigua Guatemala. It might fit your needs.... or somewhere in CR. As the others have said - do more independent research.

raquel

UT
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what's good

Thanks for your ideas. I've done a lot more research since I first posted and have been getting a lot of good ideas, but haven't looked at Antigua yet. So thanks. I know some spanish, and am studying now, and plan to take clases once I leave Belize.

5. Re: what's good

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 16:16