We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo beach?

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo beach?

Hi my family and I are traveling to Costa Rica late March and are trying to figure out the best place to stay. We want something Central to the beach and the airport as well as close enough to do most of the tours Costa Rica provides. Primarily horseback riding, waterfall tours, wildlife, and possibly a volcano tour. We are not much into the party scene. Would Tamarindo or Playa Hermosa be a better place to stay for us? Also looking at flights through Copa or United, both have bad reviews but the lowest rates. Has anyone flown Copa?

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Playa Manuel Antonio
Playa Manuel Antonio
10,786 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
2 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,725 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo beach?

First, I love flying Copa & have only had positive experiences with this airline. I fly United frequently since we share a home base. Despite recent negative publicity I would not hesitate to fly with them again.

Playa Hermosa is a better choice if you don't plan to surf & aren't looking for nightlife. It's closer to volcanos, waterfalls and nature excursions. It has a beautiful but dark sand beach.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Manuel Antonio
Playa Manuel Antonio
10,786 Reviews
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
6,810 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo beach?

We like Copa much better than United--better to avoid connecting in USA if you can.

We also recommend Playa Hermosa, lovely laid back place closer to just about everything you want than Tamarindo.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Playa Manuel Antonio
Playa Manuel Antonio
10,786 Reviews
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Reply to: Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted