We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March 2018 with 12-year-olds

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
90 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
March 2018 with 12-year-olds

Hello!

I have tried to search the forum, but cannot find information specific to these questions. Our twin sons will turn 12 in March. We always spend their birthday on a trip. I've always wanted to visit Costa Rica, but have very limited knowledge of what to do, where to stay, etc.

My initial thought (after some research), is to stay at The Springs for three nights, then move to the Westin Playa Conchal for five nights. I really have no specific reason for this, other than wanting to spend some time at the volcano, and some at the beach. We are an active family -- my husband is an ultra runner, and the boys and I love swimming, body boarding, kayaking, etc. We would also like to try to include horseback riding, golf, and perhaps a zipline and hiking. Golf is the biggest reason I picked the Westin, but my sons will be thrilled to play beach volleyball, too.

The Westin has a package through Costco that includes transportation. I'm not sure, but even if we can only use it one-way, that would be helpful. My idea was to fly in and out of LIR. I see that The Springs has a shuttle service. Is it decent? Also, what is the best way to book transportation from The Springs to The Westin?

Is this a good plan? I am open to any suggestions. I appreciate any information you may have. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and...
2,625 Reviews
Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
Playa Conchal
Playa Conchal
1,164 Reviews
Playa Conchal, Costa Rica
Liberia Airport
Liberia Airport
Liberia, Costa Rica
7 replies to this topic
Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March 2018 with 12-year-olds

I think you have a good plan. The Springs is a top notch resort and I'm positive that any shuttle service they have will be just fine. They can also help you find transportation to The Westin.

Mentioned in this post
2,625 Reviews
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
90 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March 2018 with 12-year-olds

Thank you so much! I am very grateful for your reassurance that my plan is okay. I will check on the transportation from The Springs to The Westin.

Are there any other things you believe are "must do" attractions?

Mentioned in this post
2,625 Reviews
Canada
Level Contributor
4,847 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March 2018 with 12-year-olds

This sounds like a fantastic first time trip if you can afford it. There are great activities right at the Springa but for activities in the area check here www.arenal.net

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
90 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March 2018 with 12-year-olds

Thank you! I will check it out. The Springs already sent me an email with a list of all the activities they provide. Everything looks so fun! But I also know I should research private tours as well.

Mentioned in this post
2,625 Reviews
Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March 2018 with 12-year-olds

I am planning a similar trip for my family (14 and 15 yr old boys)! We too are looking at Costco's Westin package for the back end of the trip, but want to do the volcano area for the first 2-3 days. However, I am uncertain how to go about arranging transportation for the first leg of the trip and then to the Westin. Hmm...

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March 2018 with 12-year-olds

These are very upscale and tourist-friendly plans. The only disadvantage to the places you're staying, other than the cost, is that you will have little exposure to genuine Tico culture and unmanipulated natural environment.

For anyone a bit more adventurous, and interested in saving a lot of money, there are many, many smaller properties managed by Costa Rican families who will help plan plenty of safe, wonderful, and typical Costa Rican activities.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Tico Tamarindo
Cafe Tico Tamarindo
529 Reviews
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
90 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March 2018 with 12-year-olds

Interesting! I am curious to know more. I had chosen The Springs, because I am hoping that soaking will ease some of my joint pain (I have RA). I also chose the Westin package, because it is all-inclusive, and just seemed easy (my job is stressful and being in chronic pain doesn't help). I admit that I am doing it out of convenience and relying on Costco to deliver a quality experience. But I am certainly open to any specific suggestions on where to look for a more authentic experience. Do share!

Mentioned in this post
2,625 Reviews
Reply to: March 2018 with 12-year-olds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted