We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharing shuttle bus from SJO to Arenal

Bath, England
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sharing shuttle bus from SJO to Arenal

Just wondered if people tend to share shuttle buses. There's only 2 of us going from SJO to Arenal on the 14th April and it seems a waste to pay all that money for a 6 seater and have it so empty.

regards

Steve

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharing shuttle bus from SJO to Arenal

My husband and I were there last Feb. Took Interbus which is a shuttle service from Marriot San Jose to Arenal. Approx 50.00 a person. We booked it from the hotel the day before but to be safe you can book online ahead of time. The bus(small van) stopped at a few hotels before heading up to Arenal about 4-5 hrs(stopped for bathroom breaks). We took the same Interbus from Tabacon(arenal) to Manuel Antonio(Makanda) I advise doing this instead of renting a car so you can see the sites en route without white knuckling it around/over some of the Costa Rica roads. From Manuel Antonio back to SanJose we booked ahead of time a Sansa flight , more expensive but alot quicker, and worth it at the end of your trip.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharing shuttle bus from SJO to Arenal

I'm a little confused by these posts.

First of all, when Steve talks about sharing shuttles I'm not sure what he means. Is he talking about a private driver with a van? What I normally think of when someone says shuttle buses are the group shuttles like interbus or grayline. On those you share the ride with whomever else books the trip and all rates are per person. If there are only 2 people, those shuttles are usually more economical than hiring your own private driver and van. For larger groups of 3 or 4 or more the cost of individual seats start to add up to more than what it would cost for a carload. If you only have 2 people, booking per seat with interbus would also be a heck of a lot simpler than booking your van and driver and then trying to coordinate with another party on your own to help fill it and split the cost.

And then SHR7 makes her post. I'm not sure how SHR7 booked her trip but interbus normally only charges $29/pp from SJ to Arenal and not the $50/pp she says she paid. Secondly, I'm not sure how she took interbus from Fortuna to Quepos since that is not one of their listed routes. And finally, to be balanced, there are pluses and minuses to each form of travel. Maybe taking the shuttle from Arenal to MA was right for her but many people do not find the driving experience to be white-knuckle. Also, you can more easily stop for sightseeing or bathroom breaks whenever and whereever you want if you have your own car rather than a group shuttle. And you can leave whenever you want rather than just the 1 or 2 times a day that Interbus has scheduled and you don't have to make the run of all the other hotels that your fellow passengers are staying at at either end.

3. Re: Sharing shuttle bus from SJO to Arenal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2007, 17:57
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharing shuttle bus from SJO to Arenal

Prolijo,

Not sure where you were looking but according to the Interbus website there are 2 daily trips scheduled Fortuna to Quepos

(copy paste) www.interbusonline.com

SEARCH RESULTS FROM FORTUNA TO QUEPOS

Segment # Segment Route Departs at Arrives at

000316 FORTUNA TO QUEPOS 2604 8:30:00 AM 12:50:00 PM

002835 FORTUNA TO QUEPOS 2605 2:30:00 PM 6:50:00 PM

Scatts are you referring to something like this?

http://www.costaricashuttle.com/

(This is only one of probably many similar companies) They do have scheduled shuttle service similar to Interbus. But you can also book a 6 seat van for a flat rate. We had some friends use this service to Quepos because the scheduled shuttles didn't fit ti their schedule and they were happy with it. The driver was waiting for them at the airport with a sign with their name on it..

So - the answer to your question is - if you can find 4 other people who want to go to Arenal at the same time you do from SJO and you can co ordinate it all - there would be no problem sharing since they say the rate applies for up to 6 people.

Good luck and Pura vida

raquel

Bath, England
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharing shuttle bus from SJO to Arenal

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies. I probably shouldn't have used the word shuttle bus. I did mean sharing a private driver with a van. I think Prolijo is right when he says that the coordination of this would be a problem.

I'm not able to take the interbus because we fly in from Tortuguero at 0845hrs and the bus departs at 0830hrs. To wait until 1430hrs seems, to me, to be a bit of a waste of time.

I think I'll try what Lynncandance advised. It seems like a good deal.

many thanks to the following people for their input:

Lynncamdance

Raquel

Prolijo

SHR7

regards

Scatts

6. Re: Sharing shuttle bus from SJO to Arenal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 15:17