We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

we were refused colons at marks and spencer!!!!

Berkshire
Level Contributor
603 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
we were refused colons at marks and spencer!!!!

we have just been told by the bureau de change at marks and spencer in england(camberley branch) that they cannot sell us colons as they are not allowed to be exported from the UK or imported into costa rica.

we were not aware of this and have since found no evidence to support their claim.

however they are a venerable institution in the retail sector in the UK and as such are very influential re future choice of vacation venue.

so what do you all think, or indeed know??

Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: we were refused colons at marks and spencer!!!!

I am not sure about them not being able to be imported into Costa Rica. I have been able to get colones from a Canadian bank (CIBC) twice within the past year and a half (January 2006 and February 2007).

I'm not sure about the UK though!

Northern California
Level Contributor
367 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: we were refused colons at marks and spencer!!!!

Don't let this stop you from choosing Costa Rica. You don't need colones before you arrive. You might want to get American dollars though, because you can use them almost everywhere, and will get colones in change.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: we were refused colons at marks and spencer!!!!

thanks for the replies. you have confirmed my thoughts on the subject. we are already booked and paid up re our vacation, but are a little concerned for other british tourists.

the actual term used by the cashier was " colones are a forbidden currency". a strong phrase to use don't you think?

4. Re: we were refused colons at marks and spencer!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 22:21