We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

backpacking central america

Peace area
2 posts
Save Topic
backpacking central america

i am backpacking central america and want to make my way to jamica! anyone got any advise?

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: backpacking central america

Um, JamAica is an island in the Caribbean and not located in Central America at all. So I guess the answer to your question would either be to fly or learn how to swim. If you chose to fly from Costa Rica, you might find that your flight will go by way of Miami and your fare will be even more expensive than of you just flew there from back home. Of course, you could also take a boat but cruise ships will set you back even more than the plane tickets would. About the closest thing you'd find to "backpacker" level travel from Central America would be to try to hitch a ride on a private boat out of the PCYC in Colon Panama towards the end of your trip.

Why are you even posting this question on this site, which is much more geared to more traditional forms of travel than backpacking and then in the Costa Rica section at that? As a potential backpacker you'd definitely find much more relevant information on a forum like Thorntree (Lonely Planet) or even BootsnAll than TA.

You also might want to do a lot more reading (like, for starters, looking at a map to learn which countries are even in Central America) before you ask any silly questions. A good book that I have on my shelf that might answer your questions on the actual backpacking part (as opposed to topics like buses, hosteling, cheap close to the ground travel, etc.) is "Backpacking in Central America" by Tim Burford (Bradt Guides ISBN#1564408175)

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Colon
Colon
Colon Province, Panama
Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
356 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: backpacking central america

I just read this reply. I was extremely dissapointed to see the response regarding getting a map, not asking silly questions..... I just traveled around the world with my 13 year old daughter and I asked plenty of silly questions and I am so thankful that people took the time to answer regardless of how they felt about the questions. If you don't have anything nicer to post don't post anything...because you are exactly the people America gets a bad feeling about!!!!

Virginia
Level Contributor
294 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: backpacking central america

I agree with the previous poster... don't let Projilo's harsh response disuade you. And I didn't assume from your post that you thought Jamaica was in Central America.

I know somebody that went to both Belize (in Central American) and Turks and Caicos (in the Caribbean)and the cheapest way to do it was to fly back to Miami to get the Caribbean... maybe check on spirit air, they fly to both San Jose and Jamaica from Ft. Lauderdale and often have really good deals.

Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Belize
Belize
Central America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
4. Re: backpacking central america

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 22:15