We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rafting Question...

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rafting Question...

I will be in Costa Rica in late May -- Manuel Antonio for 3 nights and La Fortuna for 3 nights. My friend and I would like to do a rafting trip (class III-IV) one of the days. We have both been rafting before and hear the rafting is excellent in CR.

Can anyone provide recommendations on tour companies and specific rivers near either Manuel Antonio or La Fortuna? I know Iguana Tours does two trips out of Manuel Antonio -- a full day trip on the Savegre and a half day trip on the Naranjo... anyone have a preference? Also... does anyone have any suggestions on which location (Manuel Antonio or La Fortuna) is better for doing a rafting trip? From what I have read, there are several companies that do one-day trips from each area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
43 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rafting Question...

Just giving this a bump to see if anyone has any recommendations...

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rafting Question...

hi there! on our first trip - our tour company had set us up for the full day trip on the savegre. let me tell you - it was perhaps the greatest day of my life! the whole thing (food, guides, scenery, excitement, even the 4x4'ing to get to the drop spot) was absolutely phenomenal. it was run by, as you said, iguana tours. then my wife went back recently and went on the 1/2 day trip on the sarapiqui (the trip typically run out of fortuna). she loved it as well - but told me that the trip we did on the savegre was a better one. i don't think you can go wrong on this one - but, my humble opinion is do the savegre one. if you'd like any more info i put together a rather lengthy letter of our trip and i'd be glad to email it to you. my address is onehelluvaguy@hotmail.com. the areas you're visiting were the main ones we hit as well. love fortuna - in fact, planning on moving there asap! take care. scott

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rafting Question...

The Savegre River and Naranjo River are both great. Iguana Tours indicates that the Naranjo has the higher class of rapids; however as you know it all depends on the rains/weather. I would inquire at Iguana Tours when you arrive and ask for the Class III and IV and they'll direct you properly. Have a great time!

Lisa in Manuel Antonio