We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
whale watching?

I've read in a guidebook that the Pacific coast has whales visiting certain times of year. But it is less clear on when that time is and where are best locations to spot some whales.

I'll be on the coast mid-Aug and am hopeful to see my first whale - is this a reasonable expectation or not?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,595 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching?

I have seen whales in January around Guiones...and Drakes bay...tell us where in the Pacific coast are you planning to be...so maybe we can help you better...

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

100% costarican and proud of it!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching?

We're going on the Windjammer from Los Suenos south in mid-August. The itinerary can change with the weather, but should go to Drake's Bay, Quepos & Golfito. One advantage with a small ship is it can change itinerary fairly easily. Last week they went to an island off Panama to get some sun as a Pacific storm kept them from going to some other stops they had planned.

Ramer, Alabama
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching?

we saw humpback whales while fishing in Papagayo area last December.

bay head, new jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: whale watching?

we spent almost a whole day watching whales from the beach in hermosa. that was in january.

5. Re: whale watching?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 07:17