We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All-inclusive or book own flight and accomodations

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
All-inclusive or book own flight and accomodations

Do people normally stay at resorts or rent a beach house/condo?

I just don't know how much a flight would be to Costa Rica so that makes me a bit nervous.

I just don't want to come home with any regrets or miss out on all the spectacular adventures Costa Rica has to offer.

Ramer, Alabama
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All-inclusive or book own flight and accomodations

every time I've attempted to put my own package together, I've never been able to match the price of a package from one of the major vacation sites. As far as an all-inclusive resort, you can get all-inclusive or a resort where your meals and drinks are not included.

The type of resort you stay in would have no effect on the activities that you choose to do other than the location.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All-inclusive or book own flight and accomodations

Packages have always cost more than booking separately for me.

I prefer a house or condo rental over a resort. I find the resorts look the same all over the world, so I get a more authentic experience outside the resort. But then some people aren't comfortable having to find their own restaurants or groceries, and like the convenience of just walking up to the tour desk rather than comparing options elsewhere. You do pay for that convenience, though.

To get an idea of flight prices, do a search on Travelocity.ca. We're likely going to book direct with the airline, but at least you can see what it costs that way.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All-inclusive or book own flight and accomodations

I've always booked on my own, much cheaper that way & I get to select what I like. Why not price out your airfare for your dates into San Jose (SJO) or Liberia (LIR) so you know how much airfare is. There are so many nice hotels/lodges/inns to pick from - it all depends on your taste. Plus you'll get to interact with the lovely Tico's more and be closer to activities/tours - at AI's you're often in secluded spots with long rides to do things and don't get to meet many people that aren't staff.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
149 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All-inclusive or book own flight and accomodations

I think it also depends on whether you enjoy doing all the research. I LOVE researching and planning our trips, plus we save money.

If you don't have the time or don't enjoy the researching, a travel agent/all inclusive may be the best. Pick up a good travel guide(the last time I was at Barnes and Noble, there was an entire shelf with Costa Rica guides!) so you at least get an idea of what Costa Rica has to offer.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All-inclusive or book own flight and accomodations

Now days you can choose ...hotel...house...villas... condos!!

From Ontario maybe 7 hours...with good connections..

A lot to see and enjoy...if you make your own reseervations...you will save some money!! Travel Agents make about 25% commision out of every booking!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

6. Re: All-inclusive or book own flight and accomodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 04:19