We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on lodging?

CA
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on lodging?

Hello--

I've been following this forum for a few months now and I am trying to figure out an agenda for a 2 week trip to CR next March.

My fiance and I are getting married in MA and will be there for the entire semana santa. After the wedding, we were hoping to head north (easter Sunday) to Nicoya Gulf area--specifically we want to visit Isla Tortuga for a day-trip and then stay the night somewhere at a beach bungalow. From there we would like to make our way up to Arenal and spend the last few nights there before heading back towards San Jose. We will be renting a car and our budget is between $70-120 p/night for hotels. We would like the second part of our trip to be more quaint and "authentic" for the honeymoon aspect. We've already rented a house in MA so this part of the trip has been formalized.

Any suggestions on driving directions, places to stay (for the trip to Tortuga island) or Arenal? We want it to be green, clean and beautiful (I've been to CR a few times in the past; I know the latter is relatively assured).

Would Tarcoles be a good place to stay over-night (are there trips to Isla Tortuga from here)? This seems like a good stopping place between MA and La Fortuna/Arenal. Any suggestions?

Roadadvisor, do you have travel-time estimates for us?

Gracias por su ayuda!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on lodging?

In Arenal I recommend El Campo del Silencio. It's a property with a few bungalows sprinkled around the property, small pool/jacuzzi, beautiful flora and fauna, restaurant and an unobstructed view of the volcano. Best of all, the Tico owners are so friendly they become like family and it's hard to leave! Nearby is Eco-Thermales hot springs and they will take you and pick you up for free. We really loved it here! Don't miss the Cano Negro tour along Rio Frio and near Nicaraguan border. Tons of wildlife and a highlight of the trip.

Congratulations!

CA
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on lodging?

Thank you so much! I've been reading the Lonely Planet and Foder's books, but it helps to get personal recommendations and experiences.

I will definitely look into this place! How far in advance do you think we would need to book this place (the week after easter)?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on lodging?

That's a tough call. If you know where you want to stay, there's no harm in booking now. Most places have no penalties at all for cancelling or revising within a certain time period. Easter week will be hecka hectic, so everyone will disappear the following week, or will linger. Hard to say. Also, here in Seattle that following week is Spring break at schools, so it might be busy in that sense as well.

Have fun!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on lodging?

Congratulations...From Manuel Antonio to Arenal...It is a place that is perfect for one night...very romantic..hotel villas caletas...about $190.00 a night...but is worth it..or even Hotel Villas Lapas about $90.00 and from Manuel Antonio to Tarcoles...about 1 hour and forty minutes...and from Tarcoles to Arenal about 3 hours and a half!!

Easy drive...form Tarcoles to Orotina...to Atenas...climbing the Monte del Aguacate...in Atenas take the road to Palmares...once in Palmares take the Pan Am Hwy. to San Ramon...then Los Angeles...San Lorenzo...La Tigra...Penas Blancas bridge...nice old bridge...La Fortuna...ufff what a drive!! about 3 and a half hours drive from Tarcoles!!

Thank you for coming to Costa Rica...land of freedom and love!!

Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

costa rica
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on lodging?

In Arenal the best volcano lava view CURRENTLY the Linda Vista del Norte.

…typepad.com/arenal_volcano/…index.html

CA
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on lodging?

Ahhh, I'm so glad that someone recommended Caletas! It looks pretty extravegant but perfect for a honeymoon. Roadadviser, gracias por los direcciones. I think we'll tame things down in Arenal area. I looked at the Campo del Silencio, it looks nice and I wouldn't mind supporting a local couple.

Thanks for the responses!

7. Re: Advice on lodging?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 09:19