We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Coast recommendations

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pacific Coast recommendations

My wife Pennie and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica's west coast sometime between January and March next year (we are also planning another trip in that period so I can't be more specific than this at present).

We would like a good standard hotel (it need not be great) with good beaches and local restaurants/bars nearby. We are both fit and healthy so walking is not a problem however Pen is not a confident swimmer so would appreciate a pool if the sea gets rough. I dive but Pen does not, so scuba diving would be an advantage but not vital. We invariably hire a car to explore for a week or so during our holidays. We'd be looking to budget within 3 000 pounds for the flights and accommodation.

We avoid All Inclusive hotels wherever possible.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations on resort areas and hotels in particular if any spring readily to mind.

Many thanks in advance for your help, take care, DrMike.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Coast recommendations

For a real flavour of Costa Rican life, why not try Playa Brasilito. A short walk to one of the mose beautiful beaches of the north Pacific coast-Playa Conchal, and a great selection of local restaurants. Its also a great base for day trips (Rincon de la Vieja, Palo Verde) and some other great beaches (Tamarindo/Playa Grande).

The Paradisius is the local all inclusive resort. Otherwise try Conchal Hotel (also dive school on site www.mantarica.com).

Both have reviews on tripadvisor.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Playa Brasilito
Playa Brasilito
83 Reviews
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Playa Conchal
Playa Conchal
1,147 Reviews
Playa Conchal, Costa Rica
Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de La Vieja
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Playa Grande
Playa Grande
Conchal Hotel
Conchal Hotel
582 Reviews
Brasilito, Costa Rica
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Coast recommendations

Manuel Antonio has plenty to offer - a range of hotels, some nightlife, gorgeous beaches, wildlife, day excursions and more. Check out www.frommers.com for more, then this website for hotel reviews.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Coast recommendations

We just got back from Playa Potrero. We stayed at Bahia Del Sol. It fits your description. We loved it. I have posted a review of the hotel, and if you do a search on Playa Potrero or Flamingo you can learn more about the area.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Potrero
Playa Potrero
Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort...
2,278 Reviews
Playa Flamingo, Costa Rica
costa rica
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Coast recommendations

Playa Protrero is a good suggestion, but i wouldnt stay there too longyoull be bored.

its relatively easy to drive down most of the Pacific Coast, my boyfriend is British and he and most Europeans i know tend to avoid the heavily Americanised resorts like Tamarindo.

You could fly into Liberia Airport with First Choice they've got cheap flights.

Then youre 30 mins drive on a good paved road to Playa Hermosa or Playa Ocotal>

…typepad.com/playa_hermosa/home/index.html

…typepad.com/playa_ocotal/home/index.html

In HJermosa i'd recommend El Velero on the beach or Villas del Sueno a short walk to the 'Tico' end of the beach.

In Ocotal stay at Villas Csa Blanca, get vthe room with the best view iuf its available.

Go diving at the Catalina Islands use Summer Salt in the next town of Playa del Coco>

…typepad.com/playa_del_coco/…index.html

Further south is Samara, lovely beach, still got a Tico feel and more 'international' than Northern Guanacaste, safe to swim as are Ocotal and Hermosa, good hotel is Villas Kalimba with cooking facilities or Casa del Mar across a small road to the beach>

…typepad.com/samara_beach/home/index.html

Further south is CR's Number 1 beach, Manuel Antonio, public beach has strong rip curerents and swimmers drown every year, BUT inside the adjacent National Park are some of the nicest beaches in CR and most are perfectly safe for swimming>

…typepad.com/manuel_antonio/…index.html

Good hotels there are Si Como No and Costa Verde.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Manuel Antonio
Playa Manuel Antonio
10,673 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Tamarindo
Tamarindo
Liberia Airport
Liberia Airport
Liberia, Costa Rica
Hotel El Velero
Hotel El Velero
450 Reviews
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
Ocotal Beach Resort
Ocotal Beach Resort
380 Reviews
Playa Ocotal, Costa Rica
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,315 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Tico Tours Guanacaste
Tico Tours Guanacaste
455 Reviews
Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
Villas Kalimba
Villas Kalimba
811 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Hotel Costa Verde
Hotel Costa Verde
1,614 Reviews
costa rica
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Coast recommendations

Oh and ANOTHER 2 ooptions just south of Samara are El Sueno Tropical near the beautiful Playa Carrillo>

…typepad.com/photos/…playacarrillo.html

nice swimming pool and restaurant>

…typepad.com/photos/costa_rica_photos/elsuen…

AND further south is Punta Islita, one of the best boutique hotels in CR.

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,315 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
El Sueno Tropical
El Sueno Tropical
158 Reviews
Playa Carrillo, Costa Rica
Playa Carrillo
Playa Carrillo
Hotel Punta Islita, Autograph Collection
Hotel Punta Islita...
1,067 Reviews
Punta Islita, Costa Rica
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pacific Coast recommendations

May I offer my sincere gratitude to everyone who has posted such helpful replies in this thread.

Pennie and I are currently researching all these recommendations with a view to spending a couple of weeks on Costa Rica's west coast early 2008.

Thanks again, take care, DrMike.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,595 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pacific Coast recommendations

Dr. Harris...take a look at Playa Samara and Playa Nosara area..nice great beaches and in general GREAT area!!

Luis Road Advisor.

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Samara
Playa Samara
Playa Manuel Antonio
Playa Manuel Antonio
10,673 Reviews
Nosara
Nosara
raleigh
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pacific Coast recommendations

I recommend on Manuel antonio because of the national park and many activities that you can do there.

nice hotels there hotel california and casitas eclipse.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pacific Coast recommendations

Dear all.

I return to this thread with my juices well and truly flowing, such has my appetite been whetted.

I've read all your helpful suggestions and the Costa Rican versions of the "Lonely Planet" and "Rough Guide" books and I think I'm leaning towards the Samara area since it seems less developed and quieter than many resorts. We like to be able eat and drink with the locals in local bars/restaurants rather than international ones. Am I heading in the right direction, or is there somewhere else that fits the bill that I'm missing?

Secondly I read in one of the guide books that you can only take 12kg each of luggage on internal flights. Since Pennie famously took 46kg between us for a weekend in Nice and 68kg for three weeks in Thailand I really need to know these limits and what the potential excess baggage charges are per kilo.

Any input gratefully recieved.

Cheers one and all, take care, DrMike.

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,315 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Waukesha, WI
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pacific Coast recommendations

Hi Dr. Mike,

I too am having a "baggage dilemma" with internal flights. I believe the extra charge for excess weight is 1.00 per pound on Sansa Airline and they do not guarantee that your luggage will indeed be loaded on your flight. I have emailed them asking if it is permissable to purchase an additional plane ticket for the extra luggage, but have not yet received a reply. I will post their reply when received. My husband and I are entertaining the thought of flying into SJO and staying in the Quepos/Manuel Antonio area for a month and would prefer to fly (30 minute flight vs. 4 hour drive), so, the luggage restrictions are indeed a concern.

Jimmi

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Quepos
Quepos
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio