We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Clueless about CR

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Clueless about CR

Hi all,

I'm in desperate need of help. I have see a few specials on the Travel Channel about CR and I'm highly interested in spending 5 days to a week there. However, I'm not sure where to stay. I'm the type that likes a nice resort (moderate is okay, it doesn't have to be 5 star) that offers a nice pool and beach. I also want to be able to plan an excursian or two and exlore a bit, I absolutely love the being on and near the water. Can anyone help me with an area or resort to stay at?

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Clueless about CR

Your options are plentiful.

Perhaps you could look into the Paradisus Playa Conchal resort (http://www.paradisusplayaconchal.travel/)

Or perhaps Xandari might suit your needs: (http://www.xandari.com/Pacific_index.html).

If you want to really treat yourself, try the Four Seasons (http://www.fourseasons.com/costarica/).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Clueless about CR

Hi goblue girl- really depends on what you would like to do. I used to be a tour guide in CR so I can give you some really nice places, if you tell me what you'd like to do it will narrow it down.

For beach and ambience I'd suggest the carribean side- for total laid back hippy type vibe Montezuma, and Cabuya. For breath taking sites and sounds La Fortuna, and area- the greatest hot springs in the world bar none-for peace and tranquiity gotta go Monteverde cloud forest. It would be a real shame for you not to see all the natural wonders if you go.

As you can see there's really no bad place to be in CR- except maybe San Jose (I don't like big cities any where). There's great hotels in all of these places that range from 5 star to 1 star.

My advise would be to think about what you want todo- 5 days isn't that long- especially if you fly in to Juan Santa Maria airport- it will take you a day to travel on bus to any of the really nice places- another option would be to stay in San Jose and do day tours- rafting, isla tortuga, zipline, volcan poas, volcan irazu, zarcero.... the list is a long one. Another option is to grab a connection flight to any of the bigger beach areas when you arrive- be forewarned small 3-4 seater aircrafts, not to everyones taste but perfectly safe to use. Let me know if I can help you out- AJ

PS- My personel favourite is beach cabana in Montezuma that is rented by a veg restaurant called el sano banano. You get the place all by yourself- you feel like Robinson Caruso- no pool though, but a truel million dollar view of the ocean.

California
Level Contributor
508 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Clueless about CR

There is not a better place than the Hotel Punta Islita. Look at their website. It has everything you are looking for. I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed.

Detroit
Level Contributor
753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Clueless about CR

Thanks for you suggestions. Now, I have another question, I can go anytime from Jan - April and I would love to go the first weekend in March. How is the weather then and when do you guys suggest visiting CR?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
532 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Clueless about CR

if you go between Jan-March to the west coast beaches, you will pretty much be assured of 85 degrees and blue sky everyday. April is the start of rainy season, so you might get rain in the afternoon - but you also get very lush vegetation.

I would not make the mistake of trying to do too much in 5 days - traveling between locations in C.R. can be frustrating. If you want to see 2 places, take advantage of the pretty cheap local flights and the fact that one way car rentals are affordable (usually a $50 drop off fee).

If you like moderate, and you don't like spending money needlessly, skip the all inclusive and go to a nice hotel by the beach (in a lot of towns, restaurants are only $5-10 for a good meal.........so you don't save anything and miss a lot of the culture). You can find a great hotel with a pool for under $100/night in many places - or you can spend $200+/night for the all inclusives.

One suggestion (from my limited experience) is Samara if you want a great beach and an affordable area - Hotel Las Brisas is a good deal, has a nice pool and is right on the beach (or you can rent a house or condo if there are many of you).

If you want more nightlife and higher end restaurants & hotels, Manuel Antonio is a nice area - but more built up and considerably more expensive than Samara.

PVR

6. Re: Help - Clueless about CR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 05:25