We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mom and college grad son-can we do this?

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
43 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
mom and college grad son-can we do this?

I was all set to take my son to italy the end of January and then thought of costa rica. all tour packages i've looked at were too $$-can we do it ourselves? arenal area then rain forests? do we rent a car to get to the coast? suggestions anyone? we've got about a week for this and would love all suggestions. i'm pretty active and fit though don't think i'd do any class 3 rapids..can i do hotels individually through TA recommendations in 2 or so places or do I really need to go with a tour like serendipity?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mom and college grad son-can we do this?

You can totally do it your self. I would recommend using private drivers.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mom and college grad son-can we do this?

How frisky the rapids are depends to a large extent on how the water is flowing at the time. You can check when you get there. Class 3 is not bad. I've done the Naranjo, the Savegre, the Sarapiqui and the Pacuare. At the times I did them, the Sarapiqui was the tamest, the Savegre was my favorite and the Pacuare was the most "interesting", ie most rumptious.

I always have a private driver. It saves time and bother, and you can relax and enjoy the countryside, in addition to which he will be able to point out things you might miss. It's more expensive than buses, but I prefer the small, locally owned hotels which are less expensive than the larger more elaborate ones. I have also flown a few times on Sansa and once on Nature Air. I thought both were fine.

It all depends on your taste and budget. If you read a bunch of the forum posts, you will see that everyone who goes down there more or less regularly has his own ideas on where to go, what to do, and how to get there.

The driver who hauls me around is Luis Chinchilla--Luis@tucanlimoservices.com.

Carol

Mentioned in this post
Naranjo
Naranjo
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Sarapiqui
Sarapiqui
Province of Heredia, Costa Rica
Pacuare Lodge
Pacuare Lodge
592 Reviews
Pacuare River, Costa Rica
3. Re: mom and college grad son-can we do this?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 19:18