We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

considering Costa Rica for holidays

Riverhead, New York
Level Contributor
324 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
considering Costa Rica for holidays

There will be 4 of us: me (46), hubby (52) and 2 daughters (18 & 14). We would like to travel 12/23 to 12/29ish - very flexible dates. What are the must sees and suggested itineraries?

Can anyone recommend a discount travel agent?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: considering Costa Rica for holidays

I'm afraid that you will already encounter problems finding vacancy in many hotels in prime tourist destinations. Some hotels get booked up to a year in advance for that period - especially beach locations. Farther inland (such as Arenal - which is a must-see) I would think that your chances are better.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: considering Costa Rica for holidays

Agree with Panem, at this late of date you're going to have difficulty finding accomodations. Christmas break is the busiest time of travel for locals and visitors. Considering the ages and for a first time trip though, I'd definitely start looking into a split between Arenal and Manuel Antonio. Arenal offers the volcano of course, Cano Negro wildlife tour on the Rio Frio, Sky Trek Canopy. hot springs, Venado caves. Not sure if the kids would like Los Lagos, but it appears to be a great place for families and since it's a little larger hotel they may have some rooms. In MA you have the Nat'l park for wildlife, Finca Valmy horseback, Sunset Mangrove kayaking, beaches, Canopy Safari. These two places are a popular combination for the amount of time you have.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: considering Costa Rica for holidays

Yes, they're both correct. Finding accommodations now will be tough. Most hotels at the beach want a week stay. There may be space at the Barcelo-Playa Langosta or Barcelo-Playa Tambor. They're an all-inclusive and from there you could use it as a base point to take tours.

Arenal might be tough. I'm not sure if there is any hotel space up there either.

Tricia

Oh....you might have better luck over Christmas with departure Dec 26 or 27.

Guanacaste, Utah...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: considering Costa Rica for holidays

There might still be availabilities in the smaller hotels around the Papagayo area. This area is only 20 min. from the Liberia Airport and close to a lot of fun sights: Rincon Volcano, Palo Verde National Park, etc. The beaches are very beautiful and sailing and fishing tours are popular.

Take a look at www.papagayoinfo.net and contact one of the hotels to see if they still have availabilities.

Good Luck and have a great trip!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,041 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: considering Costa Rica for holidays

Incredible but is true...almost everything is sold out...and a good discount travel agent they are extinct!!

You really do not want to deal with waiting list!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!

6. Re: considering Costa Rica for holidays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 07:17