We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need major help - PLEASE!!!

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need major help - PLEASE!!!

I am going to Costa Rica March 3-19 and have to decide on my itinerary in the next day or 2. Here are my options

1) San Jose(1 night)-Tortuguero(2 nights)-Peurto Viejo(2 nights)-Bocas del Toro(3 nights)-Arenal(2 nights)-Monteverde(2 nights)-San Jose

2) San Jose(1 night)-Totuguero(2 nights)-Peurto Viejo(2 nights)-Arenal(2 nights)-Monteverde(2 nights)-Ocotal(3 nights)-San Jose

3)San Jose(1 night)-Tortuguero(2 nights)-Peurto Viejo(2 nights)-Bocas del Toro(3 nights)-Peace Lodge(2 nights)-Arenal(2 nights)-San Jose

4)San Jose(1 night)-Sarapiqui(2 nights)-Totuguero(2 nights)-Arenal(2 nights)-Monteverde(2 nights)-Ocotal(3 nights)-San Jose

Which would you recommend and would you leave anything out or add anything? They can all be adjusted.

Any help would be GREAT!!!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need major help - PLEASE!!!

Maybe number one without Monteverde...to much of the same...

Luis Road Advisors.

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need major help - PLEASE!!!

Too many 2-nighters, not enough 3-nighters. You are going to spend far, far too much time "on the road," which is grueling and stress-inducing in Costa Rica. This is not a place for "road trips." Cut back on the number of places. Stay in each place three nights minimum. Slow down and smell the roses and the monkeys and the volcanoes and the beaches and the "pura vida." Save the hurrying about for when you return home. Costa Rica will still be here when you are ready to make your second visit. Don't try to do too much on your first trip. Otherwise, you will just fry yourself and will have to go back home and back to work in order to get some rest!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need major help - PLEASE!!!

Way too much moving around, it is not so simple just to skip around from one place to another; possible but you don't want to spend your whole vacation on the road. I think #4 would be nice if you drop Monteverde and add the extra nights to Arenal.

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need major help - PLEASE!!!

Thank you so much for responding!!!! I appreciate any input. I live in Montana so to go anywhere is a road trip for me. It's 600 miles to get to the other side of the state. So which would you keep and which would you ditch if it were your first trip?

Thanks again for you input!!!

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need major help - PLEASE!!!

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention we are not renting a car. It will all be by private transfer, not hat that nessecerily helps, but just an FYI.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need major help - PLEASE!!!

You'll enjoy the trip more with fewer stops. I'd suggest another option:

San Jose (1), Arenal (3), Sarapiqui (2) Tortugeuro (2), Puerto Viejo (4), San Jose (1). Geographically this makes sense as you head northwest out of San Jose and then circle around to the southeast Carribean coast before returning to San Jose. You'll see a diverse set of micoclimates from the volcano to the Cariibean lowland rainforest to the marshy areas around Tortugeuro and the gorgeous beaches at Puerto Viejo.

If you insist on including Bocas, then skip Sarapiqui and head from PV to Bocas for 2 nights before flying back to San Jose on the last day.

Save Monteverde and the Pacific northwest for another visit. You may be used to long drives in Montana, but I'd better you don't spend them driving potholed roads at 30-40 Km/Hour. It always takes a lot longer to get anywhere in Costa Rica than you would think. Good luck planning!

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need major help - PLEASE!!!

Thanks for your prompt response - my only question is - what is there to do in Sarapiqui? I have found very little info online other than that there is a river. My husband doesn't espescially care for white water rafting, although he does like to canoe and raft on easy-going/intermediate rivers.

I would really like to do either Ocotal or Bocas (Bocas really looks lovely, though it's all from online), and am willing to leave out Monteverde, Sarapiqui or possibly Tortuguero altogether. Between Ocotal & Bocas, which would you recommend? And what does anyone think about the other three areas?

Please let me know what we shouldn't leave out!

This is so much help!! I soooo appreciate your time!

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need major help - PLEASE!!!

Also does anyone recommend Cariblue Hotel when in Peurto Viejo? What kinds od activities are there besides beaches?

Thanks again!

9. Re: Need major help - PLEASE!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 01:19