We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan my vacation

NJ
6 posts
Save Topic
Help me plan my vacation

Hello, I am trying to plan a vacation sometime on May. Ideally, I would like to stay at an all inclusive type of resort but would like to be fairly close to surfing and other activities. Any recommendations?

NJ
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan my vacation

I am considering the Allegro Papagayo - is there surfing within a resonable distance? Nightlife?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan my vacation

I don't think you are:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k1704…

NJ
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan my vacation

Oh No - how about the Barcelo Langosta Beach

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan my vacation

Tigerlily, do yourself a favor and abandon the all-inclusive requirement. AIs might be a great idea in Cancum or Punta Cana or maybe even Jamaica but they make little sense in Costa Rica where you want to get outside your resort and check out all the adventures that are available offsite. Costa Rica is a safe country (except for petty theft) and there are lots of great places to stay along the Pacific coast with activities, great little restaurants and bars available nearly.

If surfing is high on your priority list, check out Playa Grande (not for beginners)- Hotel Bula Bula, Playa Tamarindo- Hotel capitan Suizo, Playa Negra - Hotel Playa Negra, Mal Pais/Santa Teresa- Milarepa or Tropico Latino, or Playa Guiones near Nosara. Here are a few sites that may help:

http://centralamerica.com/cr/surf/index.htm

http://www.surf-costarica.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan my vacation

Barcelo Langosta is hated by most locals for reasons similar to those stated for the Allegro.

CRfan is right - if you can, do not go to an AI here. If you do, you will miss out on so much this country has to offer.

California
Level Contributor
508 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan my vacation

Look at Nosara (Playa Guiones). Great surf, variety of restaurants, good lodging options.

If you want something more high end, you can't beat the Hotel Punta islita.

NJ
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan my vacation

Our primary purpose is not to surf, my boyfriend is a novice surfer and is interested in getting a few days in. So I am not looking for a hotel catering to surfers. I would like a nice relaxing vacation where I can sit at the beach/pool with a drink and a good book. We may want to venture out once or twice for excursions.

Any other suggestions? I guess the Barcelo Langosta is no good??

California
Level Contributor
508 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan my vacation

Nosara is still a great place. 6 of us spent 6 days there last Jan. Three surfed and three didn't. We all had great time. It is a beautiful beach just for walking and watching the sunset also. The Harmony Hotel looks very nice. We rented a house from the Harbor Reef Hotel and ate alot of our meals at their restaurant. There are kayak tours, etc available in the area.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan my vacation

I agree with all above about all inclusive. You will have a better time if you don't do it.

If it fits your price range, you might like Harmony Hotel. We really liked it and the Cocos rooms are fairly reasonable. The restaurant is not cheap, but breakfast is included. The pool is nice - no chlorine. The beach is beautiful and a great surf beach, still fine for beginners though! They have a guard at the beach to watch your stuff and a guy that guards the surfboards too.

It has a lot of the amenities I think people look for in all-inclusives, except it's not all inclusive so it is probably a little more expensive. MUCH better experience though.

Good luck!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me plan my vacation

I have to agree with the others, CR is much better experienced outside the confines of an AI. Look into the Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area or Nosara as others have mentioned. What type of budget you are planning per night would help.