We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to live for a year??? Seeking advice...

brooklyn,nyc
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Best place to live for a year??? Seeking advice...

Hi All,

I am considering applying for a year-long volunteer teaching placement in Costa Rica beginning next January. Upon acceptance I will be asked for my preference regarding location. All placements are rural, and I'll be living with a host family. I'm trying to get sense of where the right place for me would be through guidebooks and the internet but I still don't have a clear picture. I've traveled a bit in the Dominican Republic and Jamaica in the cities, mountains, and beaches of both islands and loved all of it. I am curious if Costa Rica shares similarities to these countries. I especially enjoy being in less "touristy" areas and getting to know local people and immerse myself in the culture- which has a lot to do with why I'm going. I am particularly interested in the Carribean side of CR given my familiarity and love of the Jamaican culture as I hear that that side of the island retains a Jamaican influence. However I hear mixed reviews about living there and I would love to hear more feedback.

I would also be interested in living somewhere in one of the moutnainous regions, perhaps where coffee is grown. A former volunteer told me she was in a town like this in the mountains, but was still within a 2 hour bus ride of the beach. I've only ever lived on islands so living by the beach appeals to me very much as well, although I assume these areas are heavily populated with tourists. Basically I would love to be stationed in a small town that has some degree of natural beauty, but that is relatively quiet and family oriented, with few tourists. Any suggestions? Also, any advice on how my placement will affect my diet in terms of what kind of food is available in the various regions and whether I should drink from the tap???

Sorry for the long post! I'll appreciate very much any advice you have for me.

Thank you,

Anneca

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to live for a year??? Seeking advice...

Anneca:

You could talk with Joel at anywherecostarica.com He is an American who is from Oregon and has been working there for a few years. He may have some insight for you. They have a toll free number you can call.

Good luck!

brooklyn,nyc
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to live for a year??? Seeking advice...

Thanks so much, I will check out the website.

A

3. Re: Best place to live for a year??? Seeking advice...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 11:19