We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking a trip to costa rica

uk
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
booking a trip to costa rica

hi there,

I really want to book a trip to costa rica in early july this year. Just wondering if anyone had any good advice on where to book and if this is a good time to go?

Was thinking of going for about 10days.

Thanks v much for any replies.

SJ
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: booking a trip to costa rica

Check here for Casa Sueca!! lovely place in Langosta, Tamarindo.

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking a trip to costa rica

July is rainy/green season

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking a trip to costa rica

Unfortunately, questions like yours are far too vague to get any useful answers. You might get some hotel owner, tour operator or other tout telling you that their place is THE BEST or that their "friend" can arrange your trip for you... or that wherever they were was THE best (even though they have absolutely nothing to compare it to...

When you say you want to book a trip, do you mean you want a full package or do you want to plan it yourself and book the hotels and transportation on your own?

In order to provide helpful answers - people need to know about you - budget, travel style, kind of things you enjoy. Do you more want to settle in somewhere and relax - or do you want to see as much as possible... How do you want to travel around - rent car, driver, public transportation, small planes...

This forum is full of trip reports and suggestions. Also if you are looking for a Tour operator, there are recommendations for those too. Have a look at them.

Also, first get hold of a Guide book. Once you have done a bit of research and zero in on some things that might interest you, come back with more specific questions and you will get alot of great answers and suggestions.

For 7 days I would say - choose 2 destinations for 10 - 3....

I might tell you that in 10 days you should visit Arenal, Monteverde and Manuel Antonio. Someone else might say Montezuma and Rincon de la vieja. Someone else will swear by the Osa Penisula and others Puerto Viejo someone else will tell you some ALL inclusive resort is the only way to go.... and so it goes. The beat goes on.

As for weather - yes June is the green season. The amount of rain you will get however will vary from place to place. The norm is usually nice days, often sunny till after noon and then the clouds roll in and it may rain to varying degrees.

The green season has its own advantages. It is less crowded. Prices are lower. The vegetation is more lush and beautiful. I personally prefer visiting Costa Rica during the green season.

The amount of rain you actually get will vary from region to region. . But in most places even in the rainy part of the year, much of the time it will be nice in the early part of the day - till after noon.

Its hard to predict the weather - but the attached link gives average temperatures and rainfalls for various regions in the country, so at least you can get an idea of trends for various regions.

costarica.com/Trip-Planning/…

raquel

uk
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking a trip to costa rica

hi thank u for your replies.

i was really looking for flights & hotels seperatly as i wanted to visit the arenal observatory lodge for a night.

as for travelling around i think we would take public transport where possible, i hadnt considered small planes as i didnt realise this was an option! would like to consider that.

we would really like to do as much as possible but have a couple of days at the end to chill at the beach. i wanted to see a lot of wildlife and the volcanoes.

we would like to keep our budget fairly low without sleeping in tents-to be honest i dont really know what to expect in prices as i couldnt find any info on the main sites i looked at.

once again thanks for your help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: booking a trip to costa rica

Hi Julie, you can definately stay cheaply in Costa Rica..we stayed in a place called Hotel Abolita in Manual Antonio and I don't remember the price but I know it was inexpensive, and right off the beach. We also stayed in cabins at Hacienda Baru, a reserve near Dominical and those were like $60/night & they were big three bdrm cabins.

Anyway, you were saying you wanted to see wildlife and do a lot, you mentioned Arenol as well, but with beach time at the end. I can highly recommend mixing the beach time throughout the trip- what we did in January when we went--we spent morning doing the activities/sights/animals/etc and then had beach time all afternoon. We went ziplining twice, went rapelling, spent the night behind a waterfall in this cool cave, climbed up 1500 feet in this mountain, etc..etc..

Hacienda Baru was great for that bc the wildlife is right on the property, there is ziplining, this crazy tree climb thing & tons of activities..and then the beach is right there on property, so no driving was involved.

And Manuel Antonio would be great for you bc you have the beach, a fun town & the state park is right there to check out the wildlife--you can walk there on the beach from Hotel Abolita.

As for Arenol- we actually did that as the last part of the trip and I really enjoyed the timing on that. We got to sit in the hot springs & relax & it was a really nice way to end the trip. The water was so hot after we left it felt like we had had facials! We left super relaxed & feeling totally refreshed.

Anyway, I posted a trip report on Fodors shortly after I got back if you want to read details, I have the same username on that site so you could probably do a search for my username to find it. It might help you see the things I did & you could see what youd like to do as well! Let me know if any other questions. And if you find yourself too stumped (as I did when planning my trip) the company I ended up using to plan my trip is www.costaricavacationpac.com I've recommended them to others on these sites bc they were very personal & all I did was say I wanted activities/beachtime/volcano/accomodations close to the beach/etc.

Best of luck, we really loved our trip & definately plan on going back.

uk
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booking a trip to costa rica

excellent great!! thanks for all that info it will help loads! sounds like a good idea to do the active stuff then beach in afternoon-would be a nice mix.

thanks again and i wil def check it out on fodors!

Annapolis Md
Level Contributor
322 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booking a trip to costa rica

Check out Vacation City .com. They have great pics on places to stay and good prices. They will take care of you and tell you of the best places to stay.

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booking a trip to costa rica

check out anywherecostarica.com

North Carolina
Level Contributor
532 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: booking a trip to costa rica

Manuel Antonio is a great spot, but this is not the place for the budget traveler - it's about the most expensive beach area (the lower cost hotels are going to be that way for a reason). The restaurants are also going to be more expensive.

I suggest other places like Montezuma, Samara, Nosara for some impressive places with much bigger bang for the buck. There are likely a lot of other great places as well down by MA, many of the beaches there are fantastic.

10. Re: booking a trip to costa rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 16:19