We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low water level for river rafting in March

los angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Low water level for river rafting in March

we have concerns about river rafting over Easter week. How is the water level on Pacuare river or Reventazon? We would like to do a class II-IV river, but worry aabout the water level being too low and dangerous for hitting rocks. Is this a real concern? What is the best river to run at this time of year? Something with good thrills but not too dangerous. thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,402 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low water level for river rafting in March

Your concerns are valid...I drove by Pacuare river bridge on Siquirres yesterday coming from Limon...the water level is incredible LOW!!

Even that is possible to run the river...basically the ride is to admire the nature...not to enjoy to much of the rapids!!

This time of the year most of our rivers are very low...sorry!!

Luis Road Advisors.

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

los angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Low water level for river rafting in March

thanks Roadadvisor. What river trip do you reccomend in the next 2 weeks? Is the Pacuare safe to ride? Do you mean that the rapids are just not as strong so the ride is easier to navigate?

Level Contributor
806 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Low water level for river rafting in March

When the water level is low, the river runs a LOT slower so even though more rocks are exposed, it's usually not more dangerous. This issue is getting hung up on the rocks all the time which can be really annoying.

We rafted the Sarapiqui two weeks ago and it was way too low. What we were sold as a "class III" trip was basically a river safari -- still enjoyable, yes, but not what we were expecting and probably not what we would have chosen if we'd known.

I think the outfitters will be honest if you ask them. I would contact Rio Tropicales and ask -- they run both the Pacuare and Reventazon. I rafted Reventazon in March about 5 years ago and had great water but with dams, the water levels aren't just about nature anymore.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Low water level for river rafting in March

I can only speak from having rafted on the Pacuare in March last year. It was plenty fun! One advantage is that there is evidently not as much chance to overturn as there is when the water level is at its maximum. BTW, I recommend Rios Tropicales for a two-day trip. Part of the fun is staying at the lodge on the river overnite.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,402 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low water level for river rafting in March

Most accidents...broken nouses, ankles, etc...occur during dry season...our rivers are norrow...if the water of water is not good..they get even smaller...this year in special is a kind of different year...we are affected by LA NINA factor...to dry to soon...

Most of the outfitters will not tell you the correct situation or information...for a simple reason...they want your money..

At the moment I do not see any big rain that will fix the problem in our rivers for the next couple of weeks...you have good chances to run a very low water river.

Luis Road Advisors.

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!

los angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Low water level for river rafting in March

thanks. What about Reventazon? is the water level higher because of the dam? is this a better choice for the next 2 weeks?

USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Low water level for river rafting in March

We are planning on floating the Rio Toro end of Mar. Anyone know about water level?

8. Re: Low water level for river rafting in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 05:20