We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passport stolen at sjo airport

hanover illinois
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
passport stolen at sjo airport

I am sitting here in a hotel in San Jose typing this warning when I should be on the way home from O'Hare .I spent the afternoon getting a replacement passport for my stepson at the US Embassy ok what did we do wrong or stupid nothing clutching our passports for dear life until they were safely in our room safe for the week on our return we made our way thru the sjo airport you have to show your passport to walk in then show it at the exit tax counter then show it at the airline check in line then show it when you get to the ticketing counter from there we went straight to the immigration line for families travelling with under 18 children we could finally relax right NOT.....my husband handed over the four passports and then she shoved 3 passports back at him loudly ordering him to gogogo he looked down at the passports handed back and said you did not give me one back she ordered him to go on??????Without a passport?????Isn't that her job to keep those out without passports? we sat inside security in a daze and I finally asked for the police we were sent to 3 different people before having to climb upstairs with all our luggage and kids filled out a report to a sheepish policeman...then on to the Embassy to pay $120. for passport and photos taxi cabs there and back to the hotel that was full on to another hotel with rooms ran $150. plus another $180. in hotel rooms and missed work for the next day this will be an expensive theft for our middle class family.I was a flight attendant for 10 years and we have made this our third trip to Costa Rica we will be back but are saddened to think of the Airport officials being corrupt be careful Costa Rica bite the hand that feeds you too often and people will be bound to go elsewhere.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: passport stolen at sjo airport

Do you have the name of the person who took your passport at immigration? If you would, please write out exactly what happened and send a letter to the editor of Tico Times. They will print it and this may help put some pressure on the airport situation.

http://www.ticotimes.net/contact_us.htm

I know it won't pay for your passport, but it may help route the person out.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passport stolen at sjo airport

in such a situation I can only suggest not to move an inch and make as much commotion as possible. the passport would be quickly "found".......

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: passport stolen at sjo airport

Yeah, I would have definitely been screaming "ladrón!" at the top of my lungs and made sure everyone in the airport has their eyes on the situation. Never leave your passport with anyone. Of course, you have to hand it over at immigration, but you don't have to leave the scene of it's disappearance. Keep your eyes on it and don't let anyone tell you to "move on".

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: passport stolen at sjo airport

Get an expedited passport. If you have 10-11 days, the passport will turn up with the crook caught. if you report it at the airport it will end up, "found all of a sudden" with know explanation.

Passport Info in Costa Rica: livecostarica.net/index.php/…

Immediately makea copy of your passport in CR, and never carry the original between to and from the airport.

PNW
Level Contributor
642 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passport stolen at sjo airport

I am so sorry to hear about your trip to CR. It is very sad that the very poeple that are working in the airport to help you are the theives.

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passport stolen at sjo airport

I forwarded a link to this thread to the Costa Rican Embassy in Washington. Hopefully they will contact you and investigate this further. It doesn't take too many such incidents to mar a country's reputation with tourist.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
52 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passport stolen at sjo airport

This sounds awful! I just ran across this forum (always looking for beautiful new places to explore). I saw the subject heading and had to know more. Between your experience and another of a friend, I can guarantee that my husband and I will never go to Costa Rica. Thanks so much for sharing your story. We're travelling to the Caribbean in a few months, and we'll beware.

nyc
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: passport stolen at sjo airport

This is indeed a terrible occurence, but I am quite surprised that this isolated incident would prevent someone from going to visit this beautiful country. Our family of 5 just returned from a 12 day trip & we had nothing but great experiences. We met wonderful people & everyone was more than helpful at the airport, including directing us to shorter lines to expedite our process. At our 6am check-in, pre coffee, I certainly was scrambled & have to admit I wasn't exactly on top of the passport/check-in process (certainly opportune time for something like this to happen) but we had nothing but positive experiences.

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: passport stolen at sjo airport

"I can guarantee that my husband and I will never go to Costa Rica. "

How sad that you would feel this way! You've just missed one of the most incredible experiences in your lifetime.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: passport stolen at sjo airport

Agree with the previous poster, how sad to cross off an entire country from that. The OP never posted a follow-up, nor am I clear on why they were "clutching their passports for dear life" but with 4 family memebers and the OP sounding a little overwhelmed at the airport, it's also highly possible the passport was simply dropped or mislaid.