We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - need itinerary advice

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help - need itinerary advice

I could really use some feedback as to whether or not I should include Monteverde for 2 nights (or a different place if anyone has a suggestion) or add the extra nights to Arenal and Osa.

Day 1: arrive San Jose late, overnight San Jose

Day 2: trfr to Monteverde, Monteverde overnight

Day 3: Monteverde

Day 4: trfr to Arenal

Day 5: Arenal

Day 6: Arenal

Day 7: fly from Arenal to Puerto Jimeniz via San Jose

overnight at Bosque del Cabo

Day 8: Bosque del Cabo

Day 9: trfr to beach hotel like Black Turtle or Iguana Lodge

Day 10: beach hotel

Day 11: beach hotel

Day 12: fly back to San Jose, overnight in San Jose

Day 13: fly home

OR: should I eliminate Monteverde and then add an extra night to Arenal and an extra night to Bosque del Cabo?

Any opinions on what I'd gain or lose by allocating two nights to Monteverde? I'm concerned that two nights at Bosque del Cabo is just not enough. But I'm also feeling like I shouldn't miss out on Monteverde. Any and all opinions welcomed. Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - need itinerary advice

I'd suggest you delete Monteverde and add the two nights to Bosque del Cabo. You'll see far more wildlife in the Osa than in Monteverde, you can do the ziplines in Arenal and the night hikes in the Osa. The only warning I have about this itinerary is that you understand the beach near Puerto Jimenez is not a white sand beach facing the ocean but a gray sand beach facing the Golfo Dulce. It's not the typical "Caribbean" beach people think of with soft white sand and lots of beach umbrellas, but it's a more undeveloped beach with its own raw beauty and a lot fewer tourists.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - need itinerary advice

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the advice about the beach, too. Can you swim in the ocean there? I guess we're using the "beach" time not only to relax, but also because I understand you're a lot closer to Puerto Jiminez and some of the tours you might want to take. We'd love to see the animal sanctuary and some kind of "adventure" tour. Not sure what yet. Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - need itinerary advice

Monteverde is not famous for the wild life...is famous for insects, bats, hummigbirds, and more...

But the richnness of Monteverde is the forest...if you like and knows biology and hikes...that is your place!

The BDC area ...it is a nice area...more isolated...and more chances to see wildlife like pecaries, Dantas, etc...

A few more places plus BDC..they are a great place with great marketing!!

Luis Road Advisor

Just Buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - need itinerary advice

luv -- Agree that adding 2 nights to BDC would be a great way to go. I think once you are there you will have wished you had a couple more nights there. We just returned from our 2nd stay of 5 nights each and hope to return as soon as possible!

I'm not sure what roadadvisor's referring to as their "great marketing". They have an understated website compared to what they offer, and the only marketing I'm aware of is word of mouth from repeated (many of whom are well travelled) customers over the past several years.

Have a great trip!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - need itinerary advice

I'm not sure we can add two more nights to Bosque del Cabo. There are three of us so that adds an additional 495 per night. I could probably swing one extra night, but two might be pushing it. If I only add one extra night would you put the remaining night towards a fourth night in Arenal or maybe...I was thinking Poas Volcano Lodge for one night as an interim stop between San Jose and Arenal. Then we could wake up at Poas, see/hike the volcano, visit La Paz Waterfalls and then drive on to Arenal. Any input is great. Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - need itinerary advice

I personally find plenty to do in the Arenal area. Lots of choices for things to do on your own or through tours from rafting, horseback, hiking, hot springs, adrenaline "things", etc. So, adding another night there would not be a waste at all.

I believe Poas Volcano Lodge is about 1 to 1 1/2 hours from SJO. Will you be able to get there for your first night?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - need itinerary advice

You're right, we couldn't make Poas Volcano Lodge the first night. I was thinking the morning of day two we could drive up there and spend one night, visit La Paz Gardens in the afternoon, and hopefully see Poas the following morning before we drove on to Arenal.

If I skip two nights in Monteverde I'm thinking of maybe adding one to Bosque del Cabo in the Osa and then one to either Arenal or maybe Poas Volcano Lodge.

Too many great things to see, not enough time!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help - need itinerary advice

Skip Poas and Monteverde if you must to go to the Osa (Bosque del Cabo). Monteverde is nice, but no comparison to the Osa.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - need itinerary advice

I can only agree with above, add a night, or two if you can, to Bosque del Cabo. Once you are there you will not want to leave! I usually stay 5 nights and it's never enough! The trails there give you so much to see so much wildlife and wonderful scenery.

and to add - agree with travelicious, the only "marketing" BdC has is the great word of mouth from first time and the very many repeat customers. Compared to most lodges, their website is very simple and doesn't begin to show you all they offer. Trust me, adding a night there is something you will not regret!

Level Contributor
806 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help - need itinerary advice

>> ..BDC..they are a great place with great marketing!!

Yes, amazing what a powerful marketing tool happy guests can be!