We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What did you not need

San Diego
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What did you not need

To piggy back on all the what to bring posts...

What did you take to Costa Rica thinking you would need but ended up not using, if anything?

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What did you not need

The number of clothes we took. Even though we cut back, we still took too many. Most hotels have fairly inexpensive laundary services and because we had a car, there were many lavanderias who did laundary measured by the kg.

Also the amount of mosquito spray but we were there in March when it was quite dry and it is now the rainy season.

Sandwich
Level Contributor
35 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What did you not need

Have to agree with wgr- I packed way too many clothes and I even did carry on! Hotel laundry services are fast and cheap. Oh, and yeah, make up! Even forgo my usual lippy stick for vaseline in a tube.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What did you not need

Too much bug repellent.

And too much sun screen. It's easy to buy this there - many of the same brands - and about the same price. I probably will just buy it there next time. I spent way too much time tracking down and ordering 3 oz tubes of sunscreen before I left (almost all of them come in 4 oz) so I could get it on the plane (and they didn't even check).

Rain ponchos. We used our umbrellas instead - like everyone else. I couldn't imagine putting on a plastic rain poncho in that humidity! Yikes. I guess I thought I was going on some kind of jungle expedition - umbrellas work fine.

Body moisturizer - again, the humidity.

But, I am VERY glad I brought aloe vera gel (again, 2 oz bottles from the 99 cent store). That came in very handy for a little bit of sunburn I got (I guess I wasn't using all that sunscreen as much as I could've). But, again, I think that can be bought there (though I didn't see it in the supermarket where we shopped).

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What did you not need

I agree that aloe vera gel is a must but if plumboy is suggesting that it is not available in CR, I beg to differ. In fact, we found an excellent Aloe Vera Gel (Gel de Sabila) made by Bioland that we found in Farmacias la Economica (seemed to be a chain at least on the Pacific)(about 2800 colones for a 200 ml plastic tube). Non perfumed and organic. In fact, after going through several tubes, our family realized that we loved it so much that we brought several tubes home.

I don't understand that 2 oz. thing, unless one is talking about liquids in your carry on. Certainly there is no problem in checked luggage. If you are planning to only take carry on, then buy all of this stuff when you get to Costa Rica. What tripped us up was on the way back when we had to go through security again in DFW (awful place) and we had half used bottles of bug spray confiscated because we had forgotten to take them out of carry on bags and put them in our checked bags.

The overall point is that you do not need to bring most of these lotions and potions since it is all available in CR (possible exception is high power DEET)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What did you not need

We also took too many clothes even the time we did all carryon. I disagree about the sunscreen, but we have very sensitive skin. I never saw a sunscreen that I would buy. (We wear unscented 35-55)

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What did you not need

Every time I go I take makeup (foundation and powder) and then do not use it. It is too hot to put makeup on but I convince myself each time that maybe I will go at night sometime and want to put it on. The other thing I always take and do not use is a hairdryer. Same reasoning as before. Instead I end up letting it air dry or pulling it up wet and simply wearing lipstick only. It is such a casual place that I never see the need to go through this whole beauty thing.

oregon
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What did you not need

Umbrellas seem stupid to use on hikes in the rain forest, why not use a breathable lite rain jacket?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What did you not need

1. Yes, I was obviously talking about the 3 oz limit rule for carry on. (We never check our luggage.)

2. Didn't see pure aloe vera gel at the Super Joseth in Manuel Antonio - but maybe I just missed it. I'm sure you can get aloe vera in Costa Rica - I just didn't see it.

3. Umbrellas were used while walking around, not on hikes through the jungle - that would be stupid. Yes, a breathable jacket would be better for that.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What did you not need

On 3 trips to Costa Rica I've always brought too many clothes. There are plenty of places to have laundry done. Use that extra suitcase room to bring back coffee!

oregon
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What did you not need

How about bringing back both coffee and rum?