We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is the mudbath?

Linden, Michigan
Level Contributor
474 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
where is the mudbath?

My parents told me about this cool mudbath they took in Costa Rica but of course cannot remember the exact location. So, I tried searching for it and all I can find is some mudbath as part of a tour that includes zipline and waterfalls called Miravalles which is in Papagayo. I don't even know what or where Papagayo is. I've never heard of it. Where is it? Maybe I will try staying there? It sounds like there is a lot to do there. Is there a volcano named Miravalles?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where is the mudbath?

Yes it is a Volcano called Miravalles...is about 2 hours and some more minutes from Papagayo...also you can get mud baths at Rincon De La Vieja Volcano about the same distance from Papagayo!!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Linden, Michigan
Level Contributor
474 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where is the mudbath?

Someone else just mentioned Rincon and likes it better than Miravalles. What do you think? Where is Papagayo in relation to San Jose and the other places I want to visit---Arenal and MA? Is it in Guanacaste?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
339 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where is the mudbath?

Hi my husband and I did a Mudbath from tamarindo it was a combined tour zipline horseback,waterslide lunch and a mub bath in rincon de viejawe loved it a lot of fun

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where is the mudbath?

Arenal is in the province of Alajuela...Papagayo is part of the province of Guanacaste about 5 hours from each other!!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where is the mudbath?

Our capital city San Jose is about 5 hours from Papagayo!!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!

Topeka, Kansas
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where is the mudbath?

My daughter & I returned from CR June 8, 2008. Our last day was spent doing zip lines(10), water slide (1200-1300ft), horse-back riding & mudbath/massage/hot springs at Buena Vista which is adjacent to Rincon (I believe to the south). We booked through Gray Line at our resort in Playa Hermosa. If you are staying in the Guanacaste Province this would be available to you and well worth your time. We are still acutely missing our time and new CR friends!

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where is the mudbath?

We like to go to the Symbiosis spa mudbaths at Rincon. It is associated with Hacienda Guachipelin on the north side of Rincon de la Vieja. You can get a decent massage there too.

Linden, Michigan
Level Contributor
474 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where is the mudbath?

Well it seems I have a few choices!! Two of you mentioned tours that seemed similar. The mudbath, horseback, waterslide, hotsprings, etc.

Were those the same tours????

That is my kind of tour minus the horses!

Are Papagayo and Rincon de la Vieja both in the province of Guanacaste? Are they anywhere near each other by chance??? The Symbiosis is new to me. Is it a "traditional" type of mudbath out in the open? I guess what I'm asking is if it is a touristy one??

Thanks

Topeka, Kansas
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: where is the mudbath?

Papagayo is the Northern beach region of Guanacauste Province. Rincon de la Vieja is a National Park, inland from Papagayo. Guanacauste is the northern most province, adjacent to the border of Nicarauga. It was my observation, once I was in the country, there were MANY places within several, if not all regions (or provinces), that you could participate in the same type of activities. Travel guides at or near your resort will be able to help you select the one which includes or omits the activities of your choice. Especially canopy tours. This can be primarily bridges or ziplines...horse back riding was optional where I went. You could ride a tractor pulled wagon instead. Once at the springs you could sit in a steam room, have the warm lava mud applied to your body by a person there, by a family member or do it yourself. It was the cold water rinse that got my attention! Massages were available with warm lava mud or oil. Once you were cleaned off you could get into the pools of varying temperatures. Zip lines must be very popular with everyone. My resort in Playa Hermosa was building some which ultimately delivered you right to the restaurant. One of our guides told us tour size in rainy season(now)is 5-10 persons vs 50-60 in dry season (Nov-Mar). We still saw lots of sunshine & felt the only restriction of the rain was probably river rafting which we can do plenty of in the US so it didn't matter.

10. Re: where is the mudbath?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 12:22