We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a Car??

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
94 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a Car??

I know this question seems to come up a lot in this forum but I am still a little confused! My husband and I are traveling from San Jose to MA staying at Issimo Suites than to Arenal staying at Nayara. We were not planning to renting a car, we rented one in Spain on our last vacation and found it to be more trouble than it was worth in many cases. I really dont want to have to drive between destinations but not I am wondering about a car once we are there. We would like to be able to go into town for dinner and to walk around. We also want to go on tours (do most pick up from hotel??) What are cab prices like are we better off just renting a car? Also is it possible to rent them in those destinations or do we have to do it at San Jose airport?? Any advice appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Bushmaster Adventures Costa Rica
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Manakin Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Central American Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a Car??

MA is quite easy to get around sans car. The bus runs during the day every 20 minutes or so, is cheap, and runs between Quepos and the dead-end at the park, so determing where to get off is quite easy. Taxi's are also plentiful and cheap and I've yet to go on an excursion where they do not pick you at the hotel (in both MA & Arenal). Arenal is much more spread out and you'd have to rely on taxi's to go out to dinner but I got around there easily without a car, the only time it was really needed was at dinner.

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a Car??

We just returned from Arenal and did not have a car. The tours we booked picked us up at the hotel, some charged extra for that, so it depends upon where you are staying. We were at Lost Iguana, which is further out from La Fortuna. We used a cab once, to go to Eco Termales - that cost us $36 total round trip. They do have a shuttle at LI that goes into town at intervals, but it depends upon how full it is of their employees as to whether they can fit guests in. I know you can rent a car once you get to La Fortuna and have it delivered to your hotel.

California
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a Car??

you won't need a car in either place

tours usually pick you up and cabs are abundant and inexpensvie

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
216 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a Car??

You will not want to drive in MA. Our hotel was down the same road as yours and there's no way I would drive myself down that road.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a Car??

I usually self guide do not do tours so car best for

me.Nayara well over 4 miles out of town might consider that.Quepos/MA more spread out also car

is a benefit for me.Considering what I would pay for shuttle taxis almost always come out ahead.I do enjoy challenging driving for me great fun.But if it would stress you out let someone else do it...

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
94 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a Car??

Does anyone know how I might go about finding a car that can be delivered to my hotel as someone had mentioned??

Oregon
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need a Car??

My two cents:

Once you are in your location, being Manuel Antonio or Arenal, you don't really need a car. Tour companies pick you up and taxis are relatively cheap, though sometimes in smaller beach towns they'll try to gouge you a little bit. (It can be helpful to ask locals what a taxi should cost, and hotel staff will usually know.)

As for getting to Arenal from Manuel Antonio, a rental car is your fastest option and has the added benefit of letting you stop where ever you like.

If you don't want to drive, your best bet is a shuttle company. I recommend Grayline - they'll probably get you there for around $35/person. They're faster than local buses and more comfortable because you can stop for a decent bathroom if you like and have air conditioning. A local bus will probably cost around $10-12 and you might need to make a transfer. Coming back from Arenal on a local bus, half the passengers were forced to get off and walk an hour or more due to the steep road. Needless to say, a private shuttle would avoid this.

Having a rental car allows you a bit more freedom. They can be found in both locations, or they will be driven to you per your request. If you plan on going into the highlands around Arenal I would definitely recommend a 4WD vehicle. Avoid the cheapest 4WD, the Daihatsu, as they are really narrow and top heavy. An SUV will probably run you about $60/day.

If you want more car rental and driving advice for costa rica check out this page on my site:

travelcostaricaonline.com/car-rental-costa-r…

Hope that helps some. And have a great trip!

New York
Level Contributor
480 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need a Car??

i just got back from the places you mention... while I had a car, it is very possible to do without one. There are shuttle services, as has been mentioned earlier, or you could rent a car for that one day. You should be fine.

9. Re: Do I need a Car??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 14:17