We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations / Precautions?

Kansas City
5 posts
Save Topic
Vaccinations / Precautions?

Hello,

I'm leaving to CR (San Jose and Manuel Antonio mainly) Monday the 21st and am wondering if we've taken a big risk by not getting vaccinations - do most people get them? CDC website seems to recommend:

Anti-Malarial Drugs

Hepatitis A

Typhoid

Tetanus (have it, but long ago)

Rabies

Should I be concerned? Try to get anything this late? I've been to Mexico several times plus Belize, Cayman, Jamaica, and Roatan, Honduras without vaccinations, but I see the same recommendations by the CDC for Mexico...

Other than the obvious precautions (bottled water and constant bug spray), are there other suggestions for staying healthy? My wife and I are both 34 and generally in good health. Thanks in advance,

--Kyle

West Midlands, uk
Level Contributor
365 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations / Precautions?

Hi there,

I think it depends where you're travelling from as to which vaccinations you need to get.

We've just had our hepatitis a and typhoid jab which knocked me about, im still exhausted and cant shake it off!

IT says the areas which we're covering on tour come across these conditions as medium risk.

Best to print off a map of what parts you're going and take them to the doctor or nurse x

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations / Precautions?

Never got/taken anything myself, most people don't, as malaria and typhoid are so rare the side effects aren't worth the trouble. Hep A is always good to have but I personally haven't got the jab and have been to CR several times. The CDC operates by CYA and Dr's do too. I would just use your bug spray, especially at dusk. The water I've always had is better and fresher than we have in the US, drink it all the time myself.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations / Precautions?

You do not need the Typhoid or malaria. Very rare in Costa Rica to get Malaria and I have never heard anything about Typhoid there. Tetanus is a good idea. Hep A is probably a good idea although I have never done this myself and have traveled to CR 6 or 7 times. People don't get rabies vaccines unless bitten by a dog.

You don't need bottled water unless you just happen to be one of those people with sensitive digestive systems. The water is safe but some people experience digestive issues when traveling due to a change in bacteria. It is a rare thing. If you are concerned about this you can take probiotics, which introduces the healthy bacteria that is in your digestive tract that keeps every thing in balance.

Of course if mosquitos are out, yes you should spray with repellant. The same goes for the US. We have West Nile virus here.

Health risks to Mexico are way higher than CR.

Kansas City
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations / Precautions?

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations! Take care,

--Kyle

5. Re: Vaccinations / Precautions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 10:19