We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intinerary Help! 4 nts FLL, 5 nts Arenal, 2 nts ???

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
993 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Intinerary Help! 4 nts FLL, 5 nts Arenal, 2 nts ???

Hi - We are heading to Fort Lauderdale for 4 nights then on to Costa Rica for 7 nights from Aug. 22 - Sep. 2. We arrive at 11:40 am after a two 1/2 hour flight and plan on driving direct to Arenal the first day. I already booked 5 nights are AOL (maybe should be 4?). Where should I spend the last 2/e nights?

Basically, I am looking for wildlife - monkeys, frogs, turtles, macaws, toucans, etc. Love the idea of volcanoes, hot springs, waterfalls, nice pools, hammocks, massages, beautiful settings, etc. Hubby will not do canyonning or ziplines (afraid of falling - like roller coasters - not heights).

Renting a car but looking to relax. Long driving distances drive me nuts, so am concerned about going as far out as Puerto Viejo or Manuel Antonio.

Considired Xandari - but a bit expensive and not much wildlife. Peace Lodge also expenseive and have not gotten back to me. Vista del Valle seems a bit rustic as does Selva Verde. However, Selva Verde has a nearby whitewater rafting trip and potential for some good wildlife viewing.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

PL (Anna)

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intinerary Help! 4 nts FLL, 5 nts Arenal, 2 nts ???

Selva Verde would be good. It's not that far from Arenal, and 2 hours from the airport so before you depart you won't have a long drive. It's not fancy but very clean and a great value - ask for one of the bungalows, they are a short walk on the other side of the road (all covered walkway) and have coffee makers, fridges and a/c and a screened in porch. There were so many frogs there, saw several troops of monkeys, toucans and lots of other birds. I really enjoyed my stay there.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
993 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intinerary Help! 4 nts FLL, 5 nts Arenal, 2 nts ???

Thanks. I was worried I would miss out not heading to Tortuguero or Manuel Antonio this trip.

It appears we are there in turtle nesting season.

PL

3. Re: Intinerary Help! 4 nts FLL, 5 nts Arenal, 2 nts ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 12:24