We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of Costa Rica in August?

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best of Costa Rica in August?

We are planning our first trip to Coast Rica next month. We want to see as much of Costa Rica, waterfalls, forests, volcanoes, etc. How would you suggest we plan this trip?

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best of Costa Rica in August?

How many days are you planning to come? How many people will be visiting? Do you have a good budget?

With this, we can give you a lot good advice. NATUREGUIDE

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best of Costa Rica in August?

Myself and my husband; 2 weeks; yes, we have $$ to spend.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
738 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best of Costa Rica in August?

Bettyboop d doop, I just posted 100 photos...see my post from last Saturday..there are captions with each picture, that will give you a visual idea of what types of things to see and do in Costa Rica. Arenal and Manuel Antonio are probably the two most popular areas of Costa Rica for first-timers to visit. We followed that advice, that we saw over and over on Trip Advisor..and out trip worked out beautifully.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
900 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best of Costa Rica in August?

With 2 weeks you can have a very good vacation in Costa Rica. You can star with a visit to Tortuguero for two nights go to Arenal for three days move to Monteverde for 3 nights and come to Manuel Antonio for 4 days and stay around Alajuela to visit poas volcano and the sarchi town for sounvevirs before the flight back. For Hotels you can look at this places in each destinacion.

Tortuguero. Pachira Lodge, Mawamba Lodge, Laguna Lodge. Mawanba offer dropp off in arenal afther the visit to tortuguero.

Arenal. Silencio del Campo hotel, Kioro hotel even tabacon hotel.

Monteverde. Establo hotel, Heliconia Hotel.

Manuel Antonio. La Mansion hotel, Arenas del mar hotel, Costa verde hotel.

For adventures you can do wildlife in Tortuguero, ziplines in Arenal, night tours in Monteverde and whitewater rafthing in Manuel Antonio. 2 weeks is good time for a good vacation. NATUREGUIDE

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Tortuguero
Tortuguero
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
900 Reviews
Monteverde
Monteverde
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Pachira Lodge
Pachira Lodge
1,413 Reviews
Tortuguero, Costa Rica
Mawamba Lodge
Mawamba Lodge
1,219 Reviews
Tortuguero, Costa Rica
Laguna Lodge Tortuguero
Laguna Lodge Tortuguero
963 Reviews
Tortuguero, Costa Rica
Heliconia Hotel
Heliconia Hotel
415 Reviews
Monteverde, Costa Rica
La Mansion Inn
La Mansion Inn
1,174 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Hotel Costa Verde
Hotel Costa Verde
1,615 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best of Costa Rica in August?

Thanks, that's very helpful. What about transportation. What do you recommend?

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best of Costa Rica in August?

If you a trip similar to this, you will need to arrange withe hotels in tortuguero for the reservations and they offer pick up in San Jose or Alajuela, if you are flight in to late at night you can stay over night in a place in San Jose, Grano de Oro hotel is great. Like is have said, with mawanba lodge you can buy the transfer for Arenal from tortuguero. Arenal to Monteverde you can do the van, boat, horse, jeep trip to Monteverde with DESAFIO, wonderfull experience and it will save you the big time on the bad roads. From Monteverde to Manuel Antonio you can have interbus to pick you for the transfer, is only $35p/person to M.A. and the same from M.A to San Jose. Once in S. Jose you can have a private driver to take you to the volcano and sarchi town and other local places. you really dont need to have a car for the trip. Just make sure you stay in a hotel closed to the town in Arenal, this will save you money in taxis. NATUREGUIDE

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Hotel Grano de Oro San...
1,895 Reviews
San Jose, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
900 Reviews
Monteverde
Monteverde
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best of Costa Rica in August?

Me and my girlfreind just got back from 2 weeks in Costa Rica, and our itinerary was quite similar to the one described above.

Only; we wanted to have some days for relaxing on the beach, so we decided to drop the carribean coast, to save some transportation time.

For planning of all activities, we used a company called Eco Interactive, which we were very happy with. They tailored our trip and booked accomodations and activities for us, and arranged transportation between the destinations. (www.ecointeractivetours.com)

P.S; we stayed at Arenas del Mar that's mentioned above - the place is absolutely beautiful!

Enjoy your vacation!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Washington
Level Contributor
605 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best of Costa Rica in August?

Hi, we went to Costa Rica last July for 3 weeks. We went to Arenal, Monteverde, Manual Antonio, Drake Bay, then Guanacaste (in that order). I would not go back to Guanacaste, but I would do everything else over again in a heartbeat. I highly recommend renting a car. I don't know how we could of done everything without one. You can pick one up in San Jose and drop it off in Manual Antonio. We stayed at Hotel Silencio and had a wonderful cabin with humming birds all around us and there was a wonderful view of Arenal. The owner was just fantastic. It is close to a small town (I can't remember the name..maybe La Fortuna?). We drove to the observatory lodge and hiked down to a waterfall and toured the grounds. The grounds are gorgeous but the restaurant was awful so I don't think I would stay there. One regret is that we did not see the lava flowing at night. We also did a day trip to the tabaccon hot springs, which was fantastic. From Arenal to Monteverde is a very long, very slow, bumpy ride... but you will get the best views of Costa Rica and the cloud forest. To me, the best part of Monteverde was the drive to and from. This would probably be the place to do zip lines. We also did a night tour through the jungle in Monteverde, which I highly recommend. Manual Antonio was the first place that we enjoyed the sand and saw our first sloth and white-faced monkeys. The town is great with tons of restaurants to choose from. If you really want to be in the forest and have time, I recommend going down to the Osa Peninsula…then flying back to San Jose for your flight home. To me, the peninsula was the highlight of our trip. The beaches were the best we saw in Costa Rica…There is also a large resort down there if you don’t want to rough it.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
900 Reviews
Monteverde
Monteverde
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Hotel La Fortuna
Hotel La Fortuna
547 Reviews
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best of Costa Rica in August?

wow - everyone has given me lots of great ideas. Thanks so much. I know we will have a great trip.

What can you tell me about ziplinning. It looks like fun. Is it easy to do?

Thanks!

Washington
Level Contributor
605 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best of Costa Rica in August?

I didn't do ziplining because we had a 3 year old with us. Everyone that I spoke with loved ziplining and because you are up in the canopy, many people spotted wildlife like Toucans, which I didn't see until I got to the Osa Peninsula.

Mentioned in this post
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula