We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CR Itinarary: Need The Expert's Advice

New York
2 posts
Save Topic
CR Itinarary: Need The Expert's Advice

Hello all,

First off, great forum. Secondly, my wife and I (no children yet) are planning our first CR vacation and are very excited. We plan on making this vacation an adventure vacation with some R&R before starting a family. As we live near the water, we plan on skipping the beach/shoreline as we have "been there/done that" with various beaches. We have six/seven nights in CR and plan on seeing the volcano, resting in the hot springs, zip-lining, and visting the rain forests.

After researching options and reading this forum, thought I'd post our potential agenda and see if you had any thoughts to make this vacation one of our best. Agenda is below (feel free to rip it apart)...

Staying at or around Arenal...

Hotel Choices (Figure around $150-200 a night):

#1: Tabacon Grand Spa

#2: Arenal Kioro

Day One: Check in. Will most likely arrive later in the day.

Day Two: Relax at hotel pool, take a trip to the hot springs (day) and into downtown (evening).

Day Three: Day trip for Sky Tram/Sky Trek Tour

Day Four: White water rafting

Day Five: Arenal Volcano Hike

Day Six: Relax at hotel pool

Day Seven: Fly Home

Question:

#1: Should we rent a car?

#2: Any other advice?

Thank you.

Morristown...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: CR Itinarary: Need The Expert's Advice

It looks pretty good. How are you arriving? I am assuming by plane and landing at the airport in San Jose. Remember that it takes about 4 hours from San Jose because i went to where you are going. Plus how long it takes to go through immigration which will be at least an hour to two hours. Tabacon is an awesome place. Depending on when you land and if you are up to it, you may want to stay in a hotel in Alajuela or San Jose. Other than that, it looks good. Make sure you have plenty of time when you leave for the airport.

Morristown...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: CR Itinarary: Need The Expert's Advice

Also, i would not rent a car and just get a cab or hire a private driver. It is way easier.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CR Itinarary: Need The Expert's Advice

Hotel kioro is a excellent choice, Tabacon is also good but the hotsprings get a lot of people. Both hotels have hotsprings. For your firts day you can do a small walk on the hanging bridges and comeback to the hotsprings. For the Zipline you can also check with Mundo Aventura Canopy tours , I like them better the Sky trek. Mundoventura hads lines over La Fortuna waterfall. For the whitewater rafting you need to do the Rio Toro is the best river and a good company is with Wave Expeditions.

For a nature hike close to the volcano visit El Silencio, this is better in compare to the park. You can also do the rappel of a waterfall with desafio great tour also. You are only in Costa Rica for a week, you need to go out and enjoy our beautifull country also most tours will bring you back in the afthernoon soo you will still have good time to relax on the pool. Enjoy your vacation. NATUREGUIDE

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CR Itinarary: Need The Expert's Advice

Great itineray...very complete...and to find exactly what you are looking for!

Renting a car is always nice...in your case you can do it without it...maybe one day in Arenal you can get a small car and drive around...

Tabacon is defenitley one of the best hotels in the area and in Costa Rica...the hot springs there are just amizing...some times a lot of people, and they love to charge ...but if you have the money go for!!

Kioro is a nice hotel...close to the volcano and some old lava flows...you can see some interesting craters in the garden...product of very old eruptions...good services nice big rooms...

Maybe a Cano Negro tour...and some good food at Don Rufino's in La Fortuna...not the cheapest restaurant in town...but good food...can be slow some time the service...but is worth it to wait for!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise

Luis Road Advisor

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: CR Itinarary: Need The Expert's Advice

Thanks all. I will post the final agenda soon. Regards.

Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CR Itinarary: Need The Expert's Advice

My husband and I are planning the exact same type of vacation. Unfortunately, we don't get enough beach time, but we want a great adventure trip before we start a family. I'd be interested in seeing your final itinerary when you have it. We plan to do the same activities but would also like to fit in some time to Manuel Antonio. We have about 8 days I think. Thanks for your info!

sosci
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CR Itinarary: Need The Expert's Advice

to "natureguide"

Thanks for advice on mundoadventure - I'll have to check them out in comparison to what SkyTrek offers- thanks agiin!

seattle, wa
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: CR Itinarary: Need The Expert's Advice

How are you staying in Arenal Kioro for $150-200/night???

9. Re: CR Itinarary: Need The Expert's Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 09:33