We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costa rica or belize

Medicine Hat, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
costa rica or belize

bunch of families doing a big holiday in 2009 but no one knows enough to decide...can anyone tell me the big diff in these two as far as costs and what do to....i get the feeling belize is more water orientated for snorkel and scuba but assume costa rica has some but not if you are in san jose or off your resort since most arent on the beach?

anyone help as i hate making this decision ..one family is saying costa rica is less expensive but not so sure of that..would love sme advice

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costa rica or belize

Costa Rica hads a lot more nature and adventure, the country can be a little expensive, but it all depends of the way you are going to travel. The north part of the country is where you will find the big AI resorts on the water, but why coming for a AI if you can stay in unique small hotels where you are going to get a more personal service. How many days would you be planning to travel? How old are the members in the familys?

Do you have a good budget?

We will be happy to offer you some good advice. NATUREGUIDE

Medicine Hat, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: costa rica or belize

we actually are going to have about 12 adults and 8 children from about 4-12 and havent decided which to do

my family loves long hikes and assume others will do some even if shorter to see wildlife

only thing i would miss is that i love to scuba dive and snorkel too

not sure of budget yet but am sure we will do some excursions

just started looking so havent decided much yet or even where

Medicine Hat, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: costa rica or belize

forgot to say..families probably going frmo 10-12-14 days depending on family

Fort St. John B.C
Level Contributor
216 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: costa rica or belize

We did Costa Rica last march 2008 with 6 adults and 12 teenagers. It was fantastic. Something for everyone. You don't have the deep blue ocean like in the Carribean but I loved it even more. The weather was fantastic if you like it hot, hot, hot.

Hope you decide on CR and have a great time.

Peace River, AB
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: costa rica or belize

bill555:

My husband and I went to Belize in February 2005 and loved it. We're planning to go to Costa Rica in March 2009, so can't really help you with the comparison between the two yet, unfortunately.

Belize was wonderful. I would agree that Costa Rica appears to be less expensive, on the surface. The Belizean dollar is tied directly to the American dollar, so the country is very attuned to the American economy. It seems that Costa Rica also is very tied to the American $, however, since all the websites list prices in USD, so maybe that's not such a difference.

Belize is definitely your mecca if you're into snorkeling or diving. We did that, and enjoyed it immensely. It also has more historical culture via the Mayan ruins, if you enjoy that. We did that, too, and also enjoyed it very much. I understand that Costa Rica is supposed to be prettier, but I can't atest to that. We thought Belize was beautiful, particularly the Cayo area. Actun Tunichil Muknal (a cave) was the most amazing thing we have done in our lives.

All of the Belizeans we met spoke perfect English, as well as Spanish.

Don't know if that helps much!

3xy
West Hartford...
Level Contributor
223 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: costa rica or belize

Bill -

I've been to both - Belize without kids, Costa Rica with 5 kids aged 10-17. I feel that Belize is slightly more expensive. I would definitely comment that hotels/resorts are pricier. People comment that Costa Rica has gotten expensive and that is true to some extent; however, it's still certainly manageable. There are plenty of nice resort options that won't break the bank, and a few that will. Lunch was typically $50 for the 7 of us and dinner was around $100. The thing about Costa Rica is that you become very prone to taking lots of tours and the tours drive up the price. However, I think it's still a great travel deal.

I agree w/ your comment that Belize is more geared towards snorkel and scuba as you've mentioned, or exploring some of the mayan history.

Although I love snorkeling and felt that the snorkeling was terrific in Belize, we preferred Costa Rica over Belize. We truly enjoyed the variety of activities and hikes in the Arenal/La Fortuna area, and then enjoyed kicking back in Manuel Antonio to enjoy beach time.

My suggestion - if you're really into the beach/snorkel scene, go to Belize. If you want lots of variety in your activities, go to Costa Rica. In either case, it seems like you have plenty of time to explore at least 2 regions in either country.

7. Re: costa rica or belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 20:20