We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Question: LAX to SJO on United/LACSA

Santa Clarita, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Flight Question: LAX to SJO on United/LACSA

Hi everyone. I am a little confused. I booked my flight a month ago for January 2009 to San Jose on United for a nonstop flight. I thought I was getting a great deal until I realized it said operated by LACSA. I have never heard of this airline, should I be concerned? Does United own this airline?

It is also really strange that the same flight through LACSA is $760 and it's a different price when booked on United, $499. Don't really understand what is going on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Question: LAX to SJO on United/LACSA

I can help you with one part of the question. LASCA is a division of Taca airlines which is essentially the airlines of Latin America. The LASCA division is made up of all Ticas as I was told. They are headquartered in El Salvador. United Airlines is a partner of Taca (LASCA). If you are a member of Taca’s distencia program you can use miles from United flights. I always fly TACA from LAX because it has an overnight flight and I get in to CR around 9 – 930 AM. I personally think TACA is the best airlines out there. They are very friendly and polite, they provide a fairly good free meal. I personally like them better than most domestic airlines, so from that stand point there should not be a problem.

As for the price part, I also noticed the difference. I was looking on expedia for tickets for next spring and noticed a cheaper flight by United operated by LASCA. I am guessing the partnership between United and Taca has progressed, but would love to know for sure from someone wjho knows. As for the price difference I do not know

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,406 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Question: LAX to SJO on United/LACSA

LACSA was the costarican airline...until become another airline of the GRUPO TACA...

For TACA to operate some flights In or Out of USA they use the license aproved by the FAA to LACSA!!

TACA has some fare agreements with UNITED...by regulations TACA have to charge the same low fare to UNITED passengers...that means if the low fares were available by the time they transfer your reservation...the system will pick up the cheapest fare available and confirm it to you...by the way...no to many seats available at low fares...you were lucky..

LACSA/TACA fleet, they fly Airbuses A320...great new planes, smooth fligth ...quiet!!

I use to fly a lot as a dead head from LAX or SFO with LACSA...good airline...ok inflight service!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the flight in paradise!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Question: LAX to SJO on United/LACSA

How did you find the cheaper United fare? Now it is more pricey than LACSA, and I wanted to get US Airways miles (partner of United) but I can't if I fly on LACSA, so I was just curious...

4. Re: Flight Question: LAX to SJO on United/LACSA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 23:15