We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daihatsu Terios. Ok as 4 wheel drive?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
37 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Daihatsu Terios. Ok as 4 wheel drive?

Hi everyone!

Will be driving around Costa Rica for two weeks in november (2 persons). I can get a really good deal on a Daihatsu Terios and would like to know if somebody has experienced this vehicule?

Have heard that it is quite noisy and a bit sluggish on mountain roads. Is the 4 wheel traction sufficient for the muddy roads we might come across. Thanks for any info....

Graeme

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daihatsu Terios. Ok as 4 wheel drive?

I've rented a Terios twice and drove them all over Costa Rica and thought they were ok. Not a lot of power so dont plan on passing too many trucks on the highways that go through the mountains but they are great for getting around on the muddy and potholed roads

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,026 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daihatsu Terios. Ok as 4 wheel drive?

Good enough for the money you pay ...kind of slow under some situations like...up hill and sometimes trying to pass...for real 4x4 conditions...hard to tell you since all muddy situations are different...but the Terios is light and easy to deal in muddy conditions...good enough ground clearence!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daihatsu Terios. Ok as 4 wheel drive?

Rented one - more than enough for 2. The 4X4 comes in handy when you are going uphill on some curvy roads too. I think it has like a 1.3 engine so very sluggish - but good enough.

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daihatsu Terios. Ok as 4 wheel drive?

For two people, its great. We have rented them many times, with no mechanical problems. Twice up to Monteverde and up and down the 'monkey trail' several times. No problems crossing small 'streams'.

It's a lightweight though and I wouldn't put more than two into it.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
37 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daihatsu Terios. Ok as 4 wheel drive?

Many thanks for your speedy replies. Think I will go ahead with my booking for the Terios! Sounds ok for for what we are considering doing...

Many thanks again to all

Graeme

A nice place
Level Contributor
802 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daihatsu Terios. Ok as 4 wheel drive?

Go ahead it's a great car for the roads in Costa Rica. It's low on gas consumption, too.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
37 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daihatsu Terios. Ok as 4 wheel drive?

Thank you markonone1

Sounds good to me.

In the mean time I have one other problem with Hertz.

A post on another forum warned me that the great rate I am getting is because the compulsory daily insurance in Costa Rica is not included. Apparently some other rental companies include this rate, hence the higher rental cost.

I looked closely at Hertz's rental conditions and it didn't seem clear. So I sent an e-mail and got this reply: Your price includes no insurance whatsoever!

This seems quite amazing for a compant such as Hertz.

Basically they are saying I can rent a Terios for 365USD for 13 days (but then I have to add an extra 195USD which I would not even have known about if I hadn't read the fineprint.)

Does anyone have any experience of Hertz or other rental companies? Good or bad experiences?

Thank you again

smalltown
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Daihatsu Terios. Ok as 4 wheel drive?

First, I would say a Terios should work fine for 2 people. Second, just because you recognize the name HERTZ or ALAMO or such means nothing other than someone purchased a franchise. Franchise ownership in Costa Rica is different than in North America. I'm not saying there isn't fine print in North America. Just don't think a name gives a business more cred in Costa Rica.

I recommend getting the extra coverage so you can drive around and enjoy yourself without being worried every time you hit a pot hole, cross a river, or have a tourist bus pass you so close you can read the drivers name tag!

I would also check if HERTZ has offices in the destinations you plan to visit. You will get faster service if they have an office there. Otherwise it could take a while for help if you have car trouble. Most cars from rental agencies have been through it- even if they're new. You'll see why when you drive the roads!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
37 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daihatsu Terios. Ok as 4 wheel drive?

Thanks for this reply which is very useful.

I normally don't take any extra insurance ony because I have a credit card that covers it. It seems that in Costa Rica the daily compulsory insurance must be paid and can not be covered by any type of card insurance. Can someone confirm this?

Thank you once again.

Graeme

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daihatsu Terios. Ok as 4 wheel drive?

I've been wondering the same thing since I read here that some have had the insurance requirement waived by showing documentation from their credit card company. I'd like to know which companies are best to deal with in this regard and exactly what kind f documentation was sufficient for having the fees for the redundant insurance waived.