We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Exchange

Scottsville...
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Money Exchange

I need someone's help. I have been planning a trip to Costa Rica for months. I have made our hotel reservations and today I got my AmEx bill. We reserved a room at the Mango Moon at MA. I understood that they would bill me for one night in advance. That's fine. I also understood the rate to be $250 but my AmEx says $601.11. Is there some currency thing I don't understand? I can't afford a hotel at that rate! I did a currency exchange thing online with colones and that came up way less. So I don't know what might be up with this. I'm freaking out!! Will someone tell me please, when you see hotel rates online are those American dollars??

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Exchange

Give them a call to straighten it out ... there is definitely a miscalculation. Colones to dollars right now is approx. 530=$1 Even at $250/night plus tax at 16.39%, it would not total anything close to $601 (not even two nights calculates to that!) Good luck! Lisa

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Exchange

The taxes are 16.39% on your hotel stay in CR (but that is about to change) and a quick back of the envelope calculations sounds like you got charged for two nights?

Credomatic, the local Credit Card processor is tough on the card holder so be careful in what you sign!

3. Re: Money Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 10:30