We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grandchildren to CR for the best there is????

Ontario
Level Contributor
539 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Grandchildren to CR for the best there is????

We are planning to take our grandchildren ( ages 10 and 12) to Costa Rica because they are fascinated with wildlife. Would like ideas of areas not to miss from your "best " list. Any special tour packages? Would hate to go and be disappointed!!!

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grandchildren to CR for the best there is????

The Combo of Arenal and Manuel Antonio is a easy trip with small kids and they will be fascinated with the wildlife in both places.

How many days you will like to visit us?

NATUREGUIDE

Ontario
Level Contributor
539 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grandchildren to CR for the best there is????

Thanks. Enough wildlife in the Arenal area? Any other ideas in more remote locations? Osa? Have just been reading about you on the guide postings!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grandchildren to CR for the best there is????

www.bosquedelcabo.com

Very best best wildlife...

Ontario
Level Contributor
539 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grandchildren to CR for the best there is????

Just checked it. Looks great!!! Thanks.

Level Contributor
806 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grandchildren to CR for the best there is????

We took our 10 year-old son last February and the highlight was definitely the Osa. The wildlife, both on land and in the water, was superb.

We also went to Arenal and Mal Pais. It was very cool to see a live volcano, lava flow and all, and we also enjoyed a few days at the beach/surf.

Ontario
Level Contributor
539 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grandchildren to CR for the best there is????

Where did you stay?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grandchildren to CR for the best there is????

If you're going just for wildlife, Osa is hands-down the best option!

Aguila de Osa and Casa Corcovado are two great eco-lodges that are great for wildlife and easy access to Corcovado National Park.

Arenal is an incredible sight and there are some good wildlife tours in the area. Manuel Antonio is beautiful as well. You won't go wrong with any of these destinations.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me. Have a wonderful trip!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grandchildren to CR for the best there is????

Bosque del Cabo is wonderful...beautiful grounds, lots and lots of wildlife(the kids will love it), excellent trails,one that leads down to the pounding Pacific surf(incredible!),another longer trail that takes you down to the Golfo Dulce...calm water, beautiful beaches),small but lovely pool,great bar area with cards and games (for every age group), fantastic food, great staff, superb biologist on-site(Philip...take his tour in the primary rainforest...you'll all learn a lot!), early bird-watching tour (very enjoyable) and very comfortable cabinas! Believe me, you will not be disappointed. You will see macaws, toucans, possibly all four types of monkeys, possibly a sloth, agoutis, coatis, maybe peccaries, lizards, iguanas, snakes, possibly a scorpion, poison dart frogs (and red-eyed tree frogs, if you're lucky.) My husband and I have been twice, once in the tropical garden in Almendra and then in Sol,overlooking the Pacific. We enjoyed both cabinas. Buena Suerte from a fellow Ontarion!

Ontario
Level Contributor
539 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grandchildren to CR for the best there is????

Thanks! Osa seems like the place! Osalife, we are almost neighbours?!? I sent you a message with some questions.

Level Contributor
806 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grandchildren to CR for the best there is????

We stayed at Bosque del Cabo as well and really enjoyed our stay there. The accommodations are in stand-alone "cabinas" and ours had a loft sleeping area with two beds plus a king-sized bed on the main level. We loved the outdoor shower. We even had own "monkey tree" right in front of our cabina -- a troupe of howlers slept there every night. That first morning was a pretty rude awakening!

Food was great and we met some really interesting people. There were no other children while we were there but everyone was very laid back and friendly.

My son and I did a lot of hiking and the trails are very well-maintained. They also offer a night walk and, if I had to make a bet, that will be the kids' favorite. You see all the tiny psychedelic-colored frogs you see in CR promotional literature/posters, as well as small snakes, bats, HUGE spiders... We also did a one-day deep-sea fishing trip and saw more sea turtles than we could count, some sailfish (swam right next to the boat -- what an awesome sight!!) and lots of dolphins that swam alongside the boat. The fishing ended up being secondary to seeing the sealife.

In Mal Pais (Saint Theresa really), we stayed at Tropico Latino. Probably our least favorite hotel in our trip but great location on a beautiful beach. My son boogie-boarded from morning to night.

In Arenal, which I highly recommend if you have the time (it's not often you have a chance to show kids a live volcano), we stayed at the Lost Iguana. It's a lovely property and we had a view of the lava flow at night. Nevertheless, given the choice, I'd stay at AOL. Arenal is fun for kids who like all the "adrenaline" activities -- zip lines, canyoneering, white-water rafting, etc. We're nuts about hot springs and that was definitely a highlight for us there.