We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking tools and weed eater? Is this allowed?

St. Petersburg FL
12 posts
Save Topic
Taking tools and weed eater? Is this allowed?

I want to take some yard tools an a weed eater when I go to Puerto Veijo next month. I want to help some friends in cleaning up after all the flooding. Will customs let me through with the tools? Any advise would be great.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking tools and weed eater? Is this allowed?

Not likely if they are good they could get

"confiscated"

Would not risk it...

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking tools and weed eater? Is this allowed?

We have brought yard tools, and our friends brought down a weed eater. No problem.

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking tools and weed eater? Is this allowed?

I have to disagree with Qwo...I bring good tools for my home and garden on almost every trip I make into Costa Rica. The quality of local products is not good. While I haven't brought in anything as oddly shaped as a weed whacker, many of my items have been of interest to the customs guys. When asked, I usually say they are for "mi casa" or that they are "regalos por mi amigo" (gifts for my friend). I have not had to pay customs duties. I believe tools actually come in duty free as long as the amounts are reasonable and for personal use.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking tools and weed eater? Is this allowed?

Never had a problem bringing anything in.

berkeley, ca
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking tools and weed eater? Is this allowed?

Should I be worried about customrs for taking regular electronics for my honeymoon? Laptop, video camera, digital camera...

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking tools and weed eater? Is this allowed?

costarica-embassy.org/consular/…duty-Free.htm

This is a link to the website of the Costa Rican consultate. Before you land, you will be given a form asking you what are bringing in with you. You need to give this to the customs officers after you pick up your luggage.

Items for personal use are fine. Used things are usually fine. New electronics in boxes are of interest and its good to have the receipts for these to prove their value.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking tools and weed eater? Is this allowed?

No, you do not need to worry about your electronics. I've entered the country more than 50 times, often with professional camera equipment and various laptops - nobody has ever even asked me a question about any of it.

However, do not bring anything that is unopened. I discard any and all original packaging and simply pack the parts in my suitcase or carry-on. I even take price tags off new clothes...

St. Petersburg FL
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking tools and weed eater? Is this allowed?

Thanks for all the great post to my question. Leaving Jan 5 for 2 weeks. Then moving down in late Feb. to the Puerto Veijo area.

Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking tools and weed eater? Is this allowed?

You don't have to worry about it, it's not going to get confiscated.

10. Re: Taking tools and weed eater? Is this allowed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 03:18