We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing in mid-March

Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing in mid-March

I have read so much on the Costa Rica forum that I am overwhelmed. I know I often ask questions that have been answered more than once, but I keep finding conflicting answers.

So, I would like a definitive answer (please). My husband and I and our two daughters in their 20's are going to CR in mid-March we land in San Jose, are going to Arenal and then on to MA. We plan to zipline and tour and all that. I do know that blue jeans don't work. No one disagreed with that.

What I do want to know is, are shorts ok? I hate to buy a bunch of long pants that dry easy if ppl generally wear shorts anyway. I sort of thought one pair of those "easy-dry" pants per traveler might do us for when we zipline. And what about tops? tank tops? short sleeve tops? And shoes... heavy duty sandals? tennis shoes only? hate to take up space with hiking shoes if our athletic shoes will do.

Thanks so much for advice!

El Santuario Canopy Adventure Tour
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Piko Travel
River Rafting & Tubing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
ADR Adventure Park
Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Eco Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Costa Rica Eco Journeys
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Eco Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Treasure Island...
Level Contributor
337 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing in mid-March

We just got back from CR and I was surprised that nobody ever dresses up. So, you will be fine with shorts and if you plan on doing any horseback riding or trips that may get you dirty, bring a pair of pants. It also rains occasionally, since you are in the rainforest, so bring a rain jacket that dries quickly. Also, you will be fine with just a pair of sneakers and a pair of sandals. You can do all your excursions with either one. You can wear short sleeve tops and tank tops, both work. Just so you know, if you plan on going out for dinner, don't worry about dressing up, a pair of shorts and t shirt are all you will need. Hope this helps.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing in mid-March

Shorts are OK except for churches and horseback rides.

Long pants also for nice dinners...tops as per activity

Jacket/hood or Pancho for rain cold mountains good idea

Have fun,

Level Contributor
361 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing in mid-March

I agree with the other 2 posters. I brough too many long pants, one pair for horseback riding or ziplining and one pair of nice pants if you want to dress up a bit for dinner, but shorts are fine fro dinner. Slip in a couple of those cheap 99 cent rain ponchos. Unless you go to Monte Verde, a light jacket is enough for cool evenings. A long sleeve shirt for Arenal would be a good idea, too. I never used mine, but better safe than sorry. Do not bring hiking shoes. They are hot, bulky, & uneccessary. I wore my jacket & sneakers on the plane to cut down on space. But do bring your sandles. I used them both.

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing in mid-March

Can you please tell me why jeans are not appropiate. We are going in mid april. Thank you.

Ramer, Alabama
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing in mid-March

jeans are too hot and they take forever to dry out

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing in mid-March

Thank you so much. Makes a lot of sense!

quepos, costa rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing in mid-March

As a word of caution... I would not wear short pants in San Jose. This singles you out as a tourist ie. rob me, and most Costaricans wear long pants in SJO.

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing in mid-March

oops! The post above was from me. wavydave

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothing in mid-March

I can only speak about MA, but:

I would bring one pair of those easy-dry, light pants -- wear them on the plane. Bring two pairs if you really want, but otherwise, shorts are it. It's very humid and hot -- particularly in MA. You're going to want to be in as little clothing as possible.

(I bought Adventure Pants from www.rei.com, but that particular one only seems to be made for men.)

Thin t-shirts, thin short-sleeve shirts, tank tops -- are all perfect. I would even think about going for the poly-cotton ones. In MA, there are some people who dress up for dinner -- but for the life of me, I could not figure out how they were showing up looking so crisp! I don't have that gene, I guess. You can certainly bring a couple very thin cotton long-sleeve shirts for going out in the evening. Basically, you want to bring clothing that will dry quickly. As I've said, it's very humid -- you will sweat.

For shoes, I would bring a pair of Salomon techamphibians -- or some other kind of shoe that can be both a hiking/athletic shoe and a water shoe. The Salomon's were perfect for us -- they're like two in one. If you get the right color, you can certainly wear these all the time. Again, I wore these on the plane -- and then packed a pair of flip flops and a pair of Converse low-top sneakers.

10. Re: Clothing in mid-March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 10:18