We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning --where to go?? Nature and beaches

massachusetts
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning --where to go?? Nature and beaches

Hi, I am trying to plan a wonderful 8 night vacation for my husband and I to Costa Rica. We are looking at Lapa Rios and were thinking of one night at the beginning and end at Finca Rosa Blanca (San Jose) and 7 nights at Lapa Rios.

However the longer I look at the Lapa Rios site I wonder "can I handle it???" My husband can for sure. It looks so beautiful. We want to do something completely different for us, and well, this would be it. Ok, so bugs sort of scare me. :) I do have 2 1/2 months to prepare and suppose I'd come home not afraid of worms in my garden... :))))

My main question is: what are the beaches like in the Osa peninsula area? Can you swim in the ocean?

Are there better areas in Costa Rica where we can have "the best of both"? A little more luxury and comfort AND great nature excursions? My husband is very much into photography and I know Lapa Rios would be an ideal environment. I am very much interested in the rainforest medicine walks and waterfalls, yoga, a beautiful pool and a nice beach.

Can anyone make some recommendations considering Lapa Rios is not too expensive for us..so comparable places?

Thank you so much!

Julie

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning --where to go?? Nature and beaches

Julie, Osa is as beautiful and wild as it can get in Costa Rica,

If you thinks you can't handle the biodiversity, maybe Manuel Antonio or the Caribbean, check out Almonds and Corals in around Manzanillo area.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning --where to go?? Nature and beaches

A comparable place, though a little less expensive, is Bosque del Cabo. It is very close to Lapa Rios. My husband and I have been twice and loved everything about it. Like your husband, we are very much into wildlife and photography, and believe me, there's so much to see in that area. As far as beaches, you can swim in the Golfo Dulce side, but can't on the Pacific side because of the undertow. You can lie in the tide pools, however, and sit on the beach and let the waves hit you but you have to be careful not to get too close! There's a lovely waterfall farther up on the Pacific side. There are wonderful trails in the rainforest at Bosque, a small but lovely pool, great cabinas, excellent food, good service...very comfortable. I've always heard great things about Lapa Rios too. I don't think you can go wrong with either place! You're in paradise! Enjoy and good luck.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
361 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning --where to go?? Nature and beaches

Hi again,

Forgot to mention...very few bugs. We took insect repellant and stopped using it after a couple of days...even in the rainforest. The beds have netting (at both Bosque and Lapa Rios) You should bring it, but it's not as bad as you may imagine...we were pleasantly surprised by the lack of bugs. You may see a gecko or spider or praying mantis (in your room) but don't worry...just relax, take a picture of it if you want, and forget about it. They won't bother you. Buena suerte (good luck)!

massachusetts
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning --where to go?? Nature and beaches

Thanks so much! I hate sounding like such a wimp. I guess I'm not, since I'm the one who found out about this place through my research and want to go there. I keep getting drawn back to Lapa Rios and really would like to stay there. However, communication with them is turning out to be quite difficult. While the man on the other end of the phone is ever so kind, I am having difficulty understanding him and I think my ISP is perhaps rejecting their emails. I just gave him an alternate email address and I hope to receive the confirmation through that.

I have decided that if I know ahead of time what to expect in terms of wildlife, I shouldn't be surprised. It's all in the way we look at it. My husband is very very much a nature lover and loves photography. We have decided hey, if we get a week away without the kids, why not make it count? :)

I just wish communication with Lapa Rios will prove to be easier than it presently is!

Julie

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning --where to go?? Nature and beaches

While you're trying to get through to Lapa Rios, in the meantime, I thought I'd pass along the new Bosque del Cabo website: http://osapixels.com/boscabo/

And, a new promotional video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijr63IVRVAM

I haven't had any problems communicating with them at all.

I'm sure both lodges are absolutely beautiful, but I'm headed (hopefully!) to BdC at the end of next week, so of course I'm partial.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning --where to go?? Nature and beaches

Lapa Rios is a beautiful place (as is Finca Rosa Blanca--both good choices.) But for me 7 nights at Lapa Rios would be too much.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning --where to go?? Nature and beaches

Is there a big difference between the beaches at Lapa Rios and Bosque del Cabo? Are they both similar? does anyone know if Bosque del Cabo offers yoga?

Julie

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help planning --where to go?? Nature and beaches

If you're definitely interested in getting in some good quality beach time, it seems a lot of people split their time between one of the rainforest lodges and one of the other hotels in Puerto Jimenez -- like Iguana Lodge. That way, you can have the rainforest lodge experience for a few days and then have a few days of more explicit beach time.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help planning --where to go?? Nature and beaches

Osa is great for biodiversity

beaches are just ok

not great brownish sand flotsam..

Cano Island Osa has nice beaches but remote...

www.playamontezuma.net

best pacific beach for me

might cut back a tad on Osa

add a couple of days there

for quality beach time...

Casa Chameleon or www.ylangylangresrt.com

both very nice...

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply