We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cellphone coverage

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
867 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
cellphone coverage

I know this probably has been asked before but please allow my to ask again:

How is the cell phone coverage service? We have Verizon-are traveling up to Arenal, then M.A.

We have teenagers at home at an elderly father, more concerned about emergency contacts, than roaming charges.

Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
East Meadow, New...
Level Contributor
589 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cellphone coverage

You should buy an inexpensive unlocked GSM phone and when you get to Costa Rica buy a local SIM card.Outside the USA there are shops everywhere to do this since most of the world works that way and not on the locked systems with plans we have here in the USA. I bought an unlocked GSM phone- with NO usage plan, just the phone- and wherever I go in the world I buy a local SIM card with minutes. Then we go online and email the phone number to our family members. Since they all have Skype on their home computers, they can phone the travel cell phone with local SIM for about 2.5 cents per minute. There is NO charge for calls received on the SIM card, only for calls made. It winds up costing almost nothing and we are readily available wherever we go. Have used this phone and method in Asia, all over central and South America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand....well worth the $100. I paid for the phone years ago.

Your Verizon phone may not work at all in Costa Rica and you may want to check with Verizon to determine if it will.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
United States
United States
North America
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cellphone coverage

Because the phone system in Costa Rica is owned by the Goverment monopoly ICE, Costa Rica is currently not like many countries when it comes to being able to buy sim cards etc. So do not assume that becuase you were able to buy a local SIM card in other countries, you will be able to in Costa Rica.

Please read these threads as I think they are quite comprehensive.

tripadvisor.com/…15562504

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k2379…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k2485…

good luck

raquel

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
3. Re: cellphone coverage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 16:17