We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abbreviated Trip Report-- random reflections/suggestions

Georgia
Level Contributor
659 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Abbreviated Trip Report-- random reflections/suggestions

We recently returned from our first trip to Costa Rica. WOW! We fell in love. The incredible natural beauty, the abundance of wildlife, and the warm, friendly Ticos won our hearts.

Thanks to all of you who provided so much useful info as we were planning our trip. Even though it was our first “solo” trip abroad, we felt very comfortable and knew what we were doing, thanks to all the info we were armed with, from T.A. boards.

We spent 4 nights in the Osa Peninsula at Bosque del Cabo, followed by 3 nights in Fortuna at Lost Iguana, and finally 2 nights in Alajuela at Xandari. I have posted reviews of BdC and L.I. separately, along with several photos taken from each place and the surrounding areas. If interested in the reviews and/or photos, just go to my contributions page and click on the reviews.

I won’t repeat what I wrote in the more detailed reviews here, but instead I’ll just post some random perceptions/suggestions, etc.:

Bosque del Cabo—I can see why people fall in love with the place. We will be back to Costa Rica over and over to explore new areas, but we will always include a visit to BdC. For wildlife and natural beauty, it simply can’t be beat. We LOVED it there. We did nearly every hike on their property, including our favorite, the Titi trail, 4 times. They have a lot of optional activities available, but we were content just to hike every day. In the late afternoon we were treated to a troop of spider monkeys who came down from the jungle and put on a flying trapeze performance right in front of our cabina, Mariposa. Magical! Also loved that the wildlife there was truly wild—not habituated to humans to the point of hanging around, etc., like other, more touristy areas of the country.

The roads: After much consideration, we decided to take Interbus rather than renting a car from SJO to Arenal. I’m so glad we did! I would not have enjoyed trying to drive on those roads— very narrow, winding, bumpy, and crowded with pedestrians who unfortunately have no place else to walk. I can’t believe how close the Interbus drivers came to knocking people off the roads, including women with strollers, etc. As others have posted here, driving is definitely doable—but personally I would not want that kind of stress while on vacation. Note: we did rent a car while in Fortuna. The drive from L.I. into town, and even the drive to the waterfall and Arenal National Park were not bad at all.

Sansa airline: We kept receiving conflicting info about the baggage restrictions before we left. I had 15 lbs of camera equipment in a backpack, which we were thinking they would count toward the 27 lb (or 25 lb, depending on the source) total weight restriction per person… so we tried to pack very light. However, when we got to the Sansa counter, the young lady told us that the 27 lb limit is just for the “checked” bag, and that our backpacks that we carry on the plane don’t count. They weighed each of us, with our backpacks on, but never weighed our backpacks separately. I’m still glad we packed light, but next time we will know not to worry about it too much.

Hiking: We hiked every day during our 9 day visit, and never hired a guide. Although I understand that guides can spot wildlife, etc. that you might not find alone, and also give you an educational experience while hiking, we really enjoy hiking by ourselves and finding wildlife. We never felt the need for a guide on any of the hikes we did—and we spotted tons of wildlife. It is, however, very difficult to get info on TA about trails that you can hike by yourself. At BdC, as I mentioned, we did nearly all the trails on their property. While in Fortuna, we did a short hike over the old lava field within the National Park, where you can go right up and watch and hear the lava coming down the side of the volcano—spectacular! And definitely no guide necessary. As we were leaving the trail, we saw a group of about 20 people who had paid for the $40 guided hike. It was mid-afternoon, so they were not going to see any wildlife…. but I suppose the guide probably was very informative about the volcano, etc. (although they probably learned nothing that one could not read about, if interested in doing so). So it’s a matter of personal preference, I suppose. We also did the Hanging Bridges “hike” alone, as well as the Fortuna Waterfall, and a couple of very nice trails through primary rainforest, right on the grounds of Lost Iguana. Drove past the road to El Silencio hike on our way into town (privately owned land outside the National Park, and easily doable without a guide) but never made it there for a hike. On our last day of the trip, from Alajuela, we went up to Poas Volcano (didn’t see the crater and unfortunately didn’t have time to hike, but there were a few short trails that looked very beautiful and could easily be hiked without a guide). Anyway, the point is that it is quite possible to find trails to hike without paying for a guide to take you.

Monopod: For you photographers out there, I found my monopod invaluable for getting wildlife shots while on the trails. I never realized how useful they can be before this trip. (It also served very well as a walking stick on the steep sections of trails.)

Tarjeta telefonico (phone card): We purchased a $10 phone card as soon as we landed in C.R., and we found that it came in really handy. We could use it from really any phone (even phones in the rooms at L.I. and Xandari) to call home every few days to check on our dogs. I think we got about 35 minutes total, which was plenty.

Lost Iguana: After we arrived in Fortuna, I was so happy we chose L.I. over AOL, which was the other hotel we were considering. The food/restaurant service is not exactly outstanding, but it was still definitely worth it to stay there for the view and the relative convenience to town. I give details about this in my review of L.I. if interested. (By the way, we highly recommend Restaurante Vagabondo if you are in Fortuna-- OK, it's not "Tico" food but it's GREAT pizza! Thanks to Monica1978 for recommending it to us!!)

Xandari: Since I didn’t write a separate review of Xandari, I’ll just say here that it was, as others have noted, very extravagant and posh, with incredible views over the valley and Alajuela. We decided to splurge for our last 2 nights before leaving, and we were glad we did (although we might explore a new place next time). The food was really incredible—and very reasonably priced, somewhat surprisingly. The service was exceptional. We stayed in a prima plus villa that was down the hill from the restaurant… and after all our hiking, we sometimes didn’t feel like walking up. Well, one call to the front desk, and someone would be at our doorstep with an electric car, to give us a ride, literally within seconds. We also planned to go to Poas on the morning of our last day….but Douglas, at the front desk, called up there (without us even asking) and found out that it was completely socked in…. which was a disappointment to us, but it saved us the $$ of hiring someone to take us up there ($$ that the resort would have made, I might add). He kept calling each hour that day for us, and it remained socked in the whole day—so we went to Doka coffee plantation for a tour instead (very enjoyable). The last morning, as we were getting ready to leave for the airport, the Xandari staff did us the favor of calling Poas again, very early—and this time they were told that it was completely clear. So their driver offered to take us up there for a quick look before taking us to the airport (extra $$, naturally). We decided to give it a try, but unfortunately by the time we go to the top, at 8 a.m., it was socked in again. The park itself looked very beautiful though, and we look forward to spending more time there on our next trip.

Anyway, I can see why people return to Costa Rica again and again! We are already planning our return trip!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report-- random reflections/suggestions

Very nice report! I feel the same way, every year I go back to visit new places but the one place I always make time for is Bosque del Cabo - I can't imagine going to CR and not stopping by!

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Btw how heavy was your momopod and what brand? Thanks!

Georgia
Level Contributor
659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report-- random reflections/suggestions

Thanks, Midori! I appreciate that.

The monopod I bought is made by Slik... it's a carbon fiber monopod so it's extra light-- I think maybe less than a lb if I remember....(but carbon fiber ones are more expensive than the metal ones)...I paid around $100 for it, although you can get heavier monopods for cheaper. I loved how light and sturdy it was though. And it fit into my carry on bag. We never checked any bags when we went to C.R. (Actually, we hope to NEVER need to check a bag again, wherever we go! Too much hassle!)

I also bought a "ballhead" for the monopod, for an extra $30 or so. Don't know how familiar you (or other readers) are with camera equipment, but a ball head allows you to rotate the camera into any position, while it's attached to the monopod. So for most hikes where we thought we'd see wildlife (i.e., just about every hike ;-) I attached the camera to the monopod before we set out on the hike, so that I'd be ready in a second, to shoot whatever we spotted. (It was fun pretending to be a National Geographic photographer ;-) It really helped to stabilize the shots (especially the ones where I used a heavy lens)... and as I mentioned, when I didn't have the camera attached to it, it came in handy as a walking stick.

If you'd like more info you can email me and I can look up the specfics and get back to you....

By the way, like Plumboy, we definitely want to return soon... so I will definitely be asking some of you more questions about other areas ;-) (although we will absolutely return to BdC for half our visit every time we go!!)......

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report-- random reflections/suggestions

So glad you had a great trip, Georgia! Thanks for posting. I saw your pictures on your review of Bosque - very nice!

We are like you - prefer to hike on our own! I can't believe you hiked the Titi trail 4 times! Guests at Bosque gave my husband and I a hard time because we were always on the go, but you guys really hit it!

Georgia
Level Contributor
659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report-- random reflections/suggestions

Thanks, Sonjan!

Yeah, guests gave us a hard time about it too....we were always wiped out by the end of the day.. because we were usually out on the Titi trail by around 6:30 am every day-- then came back for breakfast, and then hit another trail ;-)

By the way, I think I read on one of the posts that you were at AOL this trip.... did you see any lava? We saw clear views of the volcano during the day while we were staying at Lost Iguana... but no lava. Guess it's hit or miss, like wildlife.....

Big Lake, Minnesota
Level Contributor
334 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report-- random reflections/suggestions

Yes, we were at AOL. We got to see one quick little glow of cinders coming down the side right at dusk on our first night. Then the clouds rolled in each evening - so no lava. I even poked my head out on the balcony a few times during the night to check, but saw nothing. We had a few short glimpses of the peak during our last morning. Guess we will have to go back to get that lava view!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report-- random reflections/suggestions

Great report. It's nice to read all the little details I hadn't heard before. It was great meeting you and your husband at BdC -- you helped a lot with our communal dinner anxieties!

Yes, I would love to return to BdC on each subsequent visit to CR, but I just don't know if our wallets are going to agree to that! And there are still plenty of other places I'm really wanting to see -- but we WILL be back, that's for sure.

I also appreciate your assessment of LI over AOL -- haven't made it to Arenal yet, but I foresee that as a difficult choice we're going to have.

It's official, you're addicted -- welcome to the club.

Georgia
Level Contributor
659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report-- random reflections/suggestions

hah! Thanks, Plumboy. Do you mean the "Costa Rica addition" club or the "T.A" club? (I seem to be getting addicted to both, these days ;-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report-- random reflections/suggestions

G Shutterbug-

I really appreciated your camera gear tips - I am a photog myself and will be taking my first trip to CR late June. I have been to Jamaica many times and am really looking forward to new photo ops!

Georgia
Level Contributor
659 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report-- random reflections/suggestions

Thanks, yamangirl! I hope you have a great time. If you have any other specific questions about lens length for volcano shots from town, night shots of frogs, etc, don't hesitate. I posted a few of my favorite photos on my reviews of Lost Iguana and Bosque del Cabo... you can just go to my contributions page and click on them.

Where in C.R. are you going??

I might keep your post handy in case we ever make it to Jamaica!!!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Abbreviated Trip Report-- random reflections/suggestions

Thanks for the monopod info GA. I'm planning on getting a new camera before my next CR trip in June and was thinking about that option. Glad to hear it's very light, those weight limits can be tricky!