We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road from MA to SJO

NY
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Road from MA to SJO

I will be traveling by car from MA to SJO, youtravelmap.com suggest going along the coast to Jacko then across, however isn't there a more direct road that cuts across from MA to SJO?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road from MA to SJO

Actually you need to go about 40km past Jaco to Orotina and then head to Alajuela. Sounds like you could benefit from a map

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,225 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road from MA to SJO

The best road is by Orotina...Atenas...La Garita...Aeropuerto...San Jose

Is one road across the mountains to Puriscal...good road ...by Turrucares...but it will take you to Aserri and then at the other side of San Jose...

Another is from Parrita...again across the mountains to Acosta...but is in terrible condition and only good for 4x4 in some areas!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
764 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road from MA to SJO

If anyone traveling with you gets motion sickness, I would advise taking something pre-ride! The roads are very winding around the mountains. I saw a few people pulled over on the side and getting sick! Beautiful views from the mountains, though.

destin,florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Road from MA to SJO

Just drove roads "34" and "3" to San Jose at night. I should have my head examined!!! It was the thickest fog on the most curvy roads I've ever seen (or not seen in this case). If you do not want a nervous breakdown/real adventure, drive in the day light.

Otherwise, best trip ever!!!

NY
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road from MA to SJO

So the best way is to take 34 to 3?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road from MA to SJO

yes

7. Re: Road from MA to SJO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 17:24